Browser extension launches wrong app version [Known issue, fixed for the moment]

jhamer
jhamer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I know you're working on smoothing out the browser extension integration, but I wanted to mention one behavior that may not be obvious. When having the browser extension (Chrome 4.5.7.2) auto-launch 1Pd after registration, it's launching an old version of the app (128d) vs when I launch manually it's 136d.

1Password Version: 6.0.136d
Extension Version: Chrome 4.5.7.2
OS Version: 10 b 14361
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Thanks @jhamer , it feels like ClickOnce days are coming to an end, because it's using new directory for every update and we need to put a reference in registry to the .exe to launch when browser wants to talk to 1Password... latest update (137) disabled helper registration to avoid further confusion.

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @jhamer,

While 137d won't prevent the auto-launches, we are investigating how to kill the call via registry.

If you have 1Password 4 for Windows installed, please do this: open the main 1Password 4 for Windows program and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper.

After that, it should be okay.

If you don't have it installed, we're working on something for you.

• Hi @jhamer,

Try this:

1. Download this file: https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/mike/clean-opw6-url-scheme-registration.reg-K.zip
    2. Close 1Password and your browsers
    3. Extract the zip file and run the .reg file, Windows' Registry Editor will ask if you want to allow it, say yes

Test your browser, it should no longer open 1Password 6 app now.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member

Confirmed, the extension no longer tries to launch 1Password 6. It wasn't necessarily a problem, and did actually work if you were patient through all the launch extension prompts and master password entering. I'm painfully aware of ClickOnce's limitations with other apps I manage. Great concept, somewhat poorly executed.

I no longer have 1P4 installed because I went all-in and migrated to families, as well as committing to 1P6 through the dev process. 1P4 no longer provided any value for me. Went in with eyes open though. ;)

• Hi @jhamer,

That's great, and again, thanks for helping us with this.

Yea, it did work great for opening 1Password 6 app via the extension. We just had to pull it for the moment as it caused different issues in different Windows versions and most of them are due to ClickOnce's limitations. So, if we can find a quick replacement for ClickOnce, we should be able to restore this feature without any more problems. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.