Little problem syncing to new partition

Options
TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member

So I have a new Yosemite partition and I want to sync from my iPhone to 1P on Yosemite. The phone already sync to 1P on an El Capitan partition. Following the instructions, I should get

Tap Start Syncing > Sync using Wi-Fi to begin setting up Wi-Fi Sync.

I don't see where to get Start Syncing as the phone as already set up for syncing to somewhere else. Settings>Sync only shows Sync Now. Not sure where to set the computer to sync to. Or is this not possible, too confusing to sync to multiple puters.

Thanks very much.

1Password Version: 1P v6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TomWolsky,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! Sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble with the sync settings.

Wi-Fi sync is meant to work between a single computer (or in this case, a single partition on your Mac) and one or more iOS devices. 1Password on your iPhone is already set up to sync via Wi-Fi with your El Capitan partition, which is why you don't see the 'Start Syncing' option. Although it's possible to disable Wi-Fi sync and then set it up again with the other Mac/partition (and switch back and forth that way), we don't recommend it because it requires you to disable & set up Wi-Fi sync again each time you switch. Aside from being inconvenient, that has the potential to cause some problems.

With your setup, a better solution may be to sync via Dropbox or iCloud between your Macs/partitions and iPhone. If you need help to set up one of those sync options, just let us know.

Hopefully this helps, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much Drew. I'll not bother with the Yosemite partition for the moment.

Is it possible to use WiFi for one computer and sync to another computer with iCloud?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're quite welcome, @TomWolsky!

Is it possible to use WiFi for one computer and sync to another computer with iCloud?

Yes - in 1Password for Mac, you can have the iCloud and Wi-Fi options enabled at the same time (on iOS it must be one or the other). So you can use Wi-Fi to sync between the El Capitan partition and your iPhone, and also use iCloud to sync between the El Capitan and Yosemite partitions (or between completely separate Macs, of course).

However, if you'll be using iCloud to sync between two Macs (or two partitions on your Mac), it might be easier to use iCloud to sync with your iPhone as well. Is there a reason you'd prefer to use the Wi-Fi sync option for your iPhone if your Macs are using iCloud?

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again Drew. I guess I've always used WiFi. I know I had some problems a long time ago with iCloud, which is why I've stuck with WiFi.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @TomWolsky - you're certainly welcome to use a combination of Wi-Fi and iCloud to sync 1Password between your Macs and iPhone if you'd like! :)

A lot has changed with iCloud and the option to sync 1Password via iCloud over the last few years, so you may find it's no longer a problem (just make sure you're also using 1Password 6 on your iPhone if you decide to try it again there). You could try it out between just your Macs at first to see how it goes. If you decide to try syncing via iCloud on your iPhone again, you can switch to that at any time. If you run into any problems with it, we'll be more than happy to help you out - just let us know.

Have a great weekend! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew. Something to do on the weekend.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

So I'm back. I synced the master vault to iCloud on the main partition. Said it wanted to merge with database that was there. I told it to. Went to the Yosemite partition to connect to iCloud and it said it wanted to merged with the database. Didn't do that because I saw this

A little disturbed that the vault was last modified in 2010 and not a few minutes ago. So wondering what's up the cloud. Suppose I'll just go ahead and do it and see what comes down.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Came down OK. Had included test items before I sent to iCloud from the master partition, and they've appeared here in Yosemite.

Notice an odd difference that in EC the 1Password logins are at the top of the list, and in Yosemite they're at the bottom. Guess that's an OS thing that effects the display inside 1P.

• Hi @TomWolsky ,

I believe the sorting of items that begin with numbers has changed. You can change that in the Preferences under Advanced. The checkbox is labelled "Show Numbers and Symbols first".

Cheers,
    Kevin

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Kevin. I prefer the current version as it appears in EC than the old way. The Yosemite part was for reference testing, so it's not really important.

• Glad to help!

This discussion has been closed.