SUGGESTION - make on-boarding of family and team members less intimidating

hesspaul
hesspaul
Community Member

As a long time 1P user, I love the new cloud based system. I already see that I'll have a family and also be admin or member of a couple of teams I am involved with as I start to sell them on it.

One thing that bothers me is that the onboarding process feels very intimidating for less technical members. As the team admin I understand and (after initial adjustment) breeze through all the stuff about multi-key encryption, and you better save an emergency package or else, etc but that should not be the initial experience for a less technical person. I'd like to invite them and get them in as painlessly as possible. If need be the admin can help users recover their account. Over time once they have had good experiences and happy with the system I can start encouraging people to take on more of their own maintenance tasks like making the emergency package, backing up their accounts etc. These functions should not be in their way of getting their job done and they should not have constant in-your-face quests about things they should feel guilty/dirty about not having done yet. I want my secretary, kids and team members to feel that 1P is something that makes them more productive, not a job in and of itself to add to their busy day.

This is especially true if the new guest and document sharing capabilities are meant to compete with products such as Drive and Dropbox. Huge advantage to securely share my documents across the team and all platforms instead of having thin/sloppy security like those other services but in this arena you are dipping into a much less technical user base. You should shift more of the intimidating aspects onto the administrator, and for non admin users (family/team memebers/guests) you should place those aspects inside menu items rather than in the way of using the product.

Sorry that this came out as a bit of a rant! I'm just starting on the journey of having tried out the package now and wanting to convince people to come onboard with it as team members.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

As the team admin I understand and (after initial adjustment) breeze through all the stuff about multi-key encryption, and you better save an emergency package or else, etc but that should not be the initial experience for a less technical person.

I think that even non-technical people want to know their information is safe, and should absolutely be told right away that they should remember their Account Key. The idea is that people can be as self-sufficient as possible by saving their Emergency Kit or writing their Account Key down somewhere else. To explain how important this is, we have to explain the importance of the Account Key itself.

These functions should not be in their way of getting their job done and they should not have constant in-your-face quests about things they should feel guilty/dirty about not having done yet. I want my secretary, kids and team members to feel that 1P is something that makes them more productive, not a job in and of itself to add to their busy day.

Thanks for the feedback on the quests. The idea there is to provide a single place where we can run people through the ways to get the most out of 1Password Families. The browser interface is great, for example, but 1Password is even better if you download the apps. We'll continue to fine-tune this so we can introduce people to everything 1Password has to offer in a central-but-approachable way.

Sorry that this came out as a bit of a rant! I'm just starting on the journey of having tried out the package now and wanting to convince people to come onboard with it as team members.

It didn't come off as a rant at all! We appreciate the feedback from all of our customers, and are happy to hear that you're giving 1Password Teams a try and thinking about introducing it to your team members. :)

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

Thanks @nmott for the detailed reply and being magnanimous about my earlier enthusiasm. ;)

I'm just trying to think of the internal cost-benefit analysis a busy non-IT team member will perform in their head, when they see a lot of the (mental energy/intimidation) costs up front before they've begun to internalize the benefits. Typically they're not the ones who did the product research, know the use cases etc so for them it's all one big blank slate for them and first impressions can occur pretty quickly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely! We'll see if there are ways we can streamline things. But ultimately the importance of the Account Key cannot be overstated. The only way to recover from losing it is if another Organizer can help you, so we don't want anyone to get stuck up a creek without a paddle. :)

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

Recent new (nontechnical) user I invited:

ME: Did the invite process work well for you?
    USER: It was a little confusing, but it was quick and I got it all done.
    ME: Let me know if you want some help with the emergency kit, I can give you some advice on how to safely save that information. And don't worry since I'm the admin I can help you recover it at any time
    USER: It sounded important so I pasted it all into an email message
    ME: (ugh #1) That's an OK temporary place to hold it but don't hit send or anything
    USER: It sounded really important so I sent mailed it to my gmail account for safe keeping
    ME: (ugh #2 & #3!)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hesspaul: Awww, man. :(

Can you tell me how recent? We continue to make changes to the setup experience to try to make it clearer how sensitive and important the Account Key and Master Password are (and therefore the Emergency Kit). I wonder if they had the benefit of recent changes there or not.

That's definitely not ideal... On the plus side though, they're not stuck with the Emergency Kit that's been sent out over the internet unencrypted via email: it's relatively painless for them to login and generate a new Account Key, change their Master Password, and save a brand new Emergency Kit. And as an admin, when someone tells you something like that, you don't have to take any chances: start the recovery process for them. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for sharing this cautionary tale, and we'd love any feedback you might have on how we can make it clearer to users — and easier on admins like you and I. Cheers! :)

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

This was yesterday so I assume it's the current process.

I insisted they change their password (which, believe it or not was included in what they had sent to gmail) but I don't actually know if they've done it yet. Good point that I should instead do the recovery process if that will also change their key.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hesspaul

Thank you for giving us some more details, we appreciate it. I hope they get a new emergency kit that is kept safe this time. We'll keep on working on improving our wording and on explaining not only that the emergency kit is important, but that having it on an unencrypted email is not a good idea. I'm afraid that's a slightly different kind of problem, people not understanding the level (or lack of) privacy and security that you have with different services. :chuffed:

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

Absolutely. It's not a technical problem but a human engineering (and UX) issue! :-)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.