Copy Username And Password into clipboard ?

Options
gouldner
gouldner
Community Member

I used to have an Android Phone and I used keepass on that device. The android app had a really nice feature. When you selected an entry it automatically created two notification events. One said "Copy login to clipboard" and the other said "Copy password to clipboard".

Now all you had to do was launch an app, select the "Copy login to clipboard" notification which would do exactly what it said and place the login from the entry you selected into your clipboard and you could then paste it into the app. You could then do the same for the password.

So entering login and password was easy.
1) select entry
2) launch app which requires password
3) swipe down for notifications and copy user to clipboard
4) paste username
5) swipe down for notifications and copy password to clipboard
6) paste password.

Now that I am on an iPhone the keepass implementations all have pretty major issues. So I am making he switch to 1password.
So far I can only get login and password by switching between 1password and the app.
I have to do the following
1) open entry
2) copy login to clipboard
3) launch app needing password
4) paste username
5) launch 1password
6) enter 1password master password (or use touch login)
7) copy password to clipboard
8) switch to app needing password
9) paste password.

I am trying a 3rd party clipboard app called "copied" which places clipboard items into your notifications but so far I can't get it to work because it requires that you select the text and right swipe to put it into its clipboard. 1password doesn't let you select the text unless you open the entry in edit mode and that might cause the password to regenerate.

So I have not yet found a clean solution to make this easier. I am betting there is a way and hope someone can help.

1Password Version: 6.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 9.3.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:clipboard

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

1PW for iOS has a feature that allows apps to get both the login name and password at once. This works fine in Safari. The trouble is that apps have to be designed to use this feature, and if they aren't so designed I think you may have to follow the procedure you give.

See https://support.1password.com/ios-extension-faq/ for more information, including a list of several apps that do work well.

• astronaut
    astronaut
    Community Member
    Options

I'm assuming you're talking about third-party apps, not Safari. Safari has a share extension for 1Password which will input both username and password for you, like danco mentioned.

1password doesn't let you select the text unless you open the entry in edit mode and that might cause the password to regenerate.

Two things that might address this issue:

1. In the list view (so, don't actually go into the entry), you can swipe right on the entry and a 'Copy Password' button will appear.
    2. Once you're in the entry, you don't have to go into edit mode - just tap on the password, and it will copy to your clipboard.

How are you getting your text into Copied? I use it also, and the best way to capture text (in my opinion) is to have its widget enabled in your iOS Notification Center. Then, all you have to do is, with whatever you want to save on your clipboard, swipe down on the top of the screen to open Notification Center - Copied will automatically save it then, no need for the share sheet or opening the app.*

*Be careful using Copied for this - by keeping passwords in Copied, you're stripping away a layer of security. And if you have Copied syncing via the cloud, your passwords then would as well. It might be a better idea to do the following:

1. Copy username
    2. Open notification center, save to Copied
    3. Copy password
    4. Open your app, paste password
    5. Open notification, swipe to copy username, close notification center
    6. Paste username and log in.

That way, you're never sharing your password with any app but the intended one.

• gouldner
    gouldner
    Community Member
    Options

This makes sense. I seem to be having trouble getting "copied" to save the clipboard. I was concerned about the password getting into copied so I was planning on not enabling cloud sync and trying to remember to clear the copied list often. But your sequence solves this issue. I will try to figure out why copied isn't working.

This could be a great feature to add to 1password in the iPhone app. They could add a notifications widget which holds the login and password for easy access. It could timeout and clear after some period of time. This is how my keepass used to work on android.

• gouldner
    gouldner
    Community Member
    Options

@astronaut I re-installed copied to try again.
    I have Copied Settings "Save Clipboard on Activation" selected.

I do the following
    1) open 1password
    2) search for entry
    3) copy login to clipboard
    4) swipe down and look at "Copied" in notifications "Today" section. It just says "No clippings"

I can't seem to get 1password to send the username to copied. I must be doing something wrong.

• astronaut
    astronaut
    Community Member
    Options

@gouldner

I did a little research and I think unfortunately this is a limitation on the part of Copied, not 1Password. Their help (http://copiedapp.com/help/) mentions this:

**Q. Why can’t I save a password that I've copied from 1Password? **
    Passwords copied from 1Password are automatically ignored and concealed for security and privacy purposes. If you really want to save a password to Copied, you can do so at your own risk by creating a new clipping in Copied and pasting the password as text.

• gouldner
    gouldner
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hmm..that stinks. I guess they are just checking which app is running because I was trying to copy a user name not a password. I may try contacting their support.

Honestly I just with 1password had this feature like keepass did. Maybe I can try submitting a feature request to 1password. But not holding my breath on either app changing since nobody else seems to be complaining about this issue.

Thanks @astronaut I appreciate your efforts on this one.

Do you know how I can make a feature request ? Should I post it here or contact support. Their site says only contact support if your question is private.

• gouldner
    gouldner
    Community Member
    Options

I tried some other clipboard widgts and so far Heapo works with 1password so I am using that.
    I would like an auto clear feature but heapo has a clear button so that's cool

I also tried

• Clips Board by Lam Tran but it's ads while trying to set up were way to annoying to continue so I deleted it.
    • Clips by Clean Shaven Apps but it felt 1password copy should be blocked like Copied did. I wish they would let me decide that an make it an option in the app to block 1password copy from clipboard. Better yet make 1password clips auto delete after x min that I would LOVE!
    • Clipboard ++ didn't have widget feature so you had to lauch the app to copy/paste making it useless for my goal because as long as I had to switch apps I might as well just switch to and from 1password

If anyone else knows of a clipboard that works nicer with 1password. Especially one that auto clears after some period please let me know.

• Ben
    Options

Do you know how I can make a feature request ? Should I post it here or contact support. Their site says only contact support if your question is private.

Consider it requested, @gouldner. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.