How do I use t browser extension with the Beta?

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I was a while away and today I updated to the latest Beta and I also read a lot about browser extension support. How do I get it to work with the beta?

Is it possible to have in a browser (in my case Firefox) both extensions (1Password 4 and 1Password6)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dahanbn: It's certainly a bit confusing at this early stage, when many of us have multiple 1Password apps on our PCs. I'm glad you asked!

Both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 (beta) use the same extensions. You won't actually have to change anything with your browser(s). However, 1Password 4 will intercept communications from the extension(s) if Agile1PAgent.exe (A.K.A. Helper, possibly shown as "1Password (32-bit)" with a padlock icon in Task Manager — Ctrl Shift Esc) is running. You'll need to kill the process, and then 1Password 6 should be able to take over for filling.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Dig_Doug
    Dig_Doug
    Community Member

Thanks @Brenty. I had the same question and your suggestion fixed it. Control - Alt - Delta to get to the task manager, then kill the 32-bit 1password with the Padlock icon worked.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

It also looks like you could use something like CCleaner (go to Tools -> Startup) to disable Agile1PAgent as and when you need to.

Another way would be to use the keyboard shortcut - Ctrl-Shift-Esc - then go to the Start-up tab and disable the 1Password item as and when you need to.

• Hi guys,

Dig_doug, on behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

@pbryanw, thanks for your suggestion but for the moment, we advise against any third party methods to doing this. Using the task manager to disable the 1Password process in the Startup tab is good enough.

• Hi @dahanbn,

It will be over time and we plan to have a better extension than what's in 1Password 4.

1Password 6 Beta is a new app, which mean the extension support has to be implemented from the ground up as well. We're starting with the basics to make sure we got the core communication stack done and filling works with the Login items, which isn't yet at 100%. After that, we'll start adding more features on top of it, such as saving, submitting, password generator, and of course, the whole 1Password mini UI to work with the extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, you're right that it seems like the extension does more, but really it's just a way for 1Password to integrate with the browser. The real Brain of 1Password is in the app. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.