I've forgotten my "master password." I haven't used 1Password v6 yet. How do I reset master password

mbachel
mbachel
Community Member

I'ver forgotten my master password. I haven't used 1 Password6 yet to save any passwords. How do I reset my master password so I can use software? Yes, I realize I'm an idiot for not remembering my master p/w....

Comments

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hi @mbachel,

Sorry to hear you forgot your Master Password, but don't be so hard on yourself. The main reason Agile Bits created 1Password is because good passwords can be hard to remember. Even though 1Password simplifies having to remember lots of good passwords, it all comes down to each of us remembering 1. ;)

The strength of 1Password is that you are the only person who knows the Master Password for your data. Agile Bits has no access to your Master Password or Account Key. If you forget your Master Password there are a few courses of action you can take, depending on how 1Password is setup:

1. Family or Team account member

If you are on a Family or Team account you need to reach out to the Admin on the account and ask them to Begin Recovery of your account. You will then receive and email to the address that is on your account asking you to Choose a new Master Password. Once you click on that link you will need to create a new Master Password and save a new Emergency Kit. After you complete that the Admin will have to Complete the recovery and you will have access to your account again.

2. Family or Team account Admin

If you're the sole member of Recovery (or all members have forgotten their Master Passwords) you're out of luck. Agile Bits doesn't have an 'account reset' procedure for Teams or Family accounts, since that could allow someone malicious to wipe your account and ruin your whole day without even a mistake on your part.

That’s why it’s critical to grant Recovery privileges to at least two people on your Team, ensuring that you don’t make yourself (or any one person) a single point of failure. If you ever get locked out of your account, the other person you added to the Admin (or Owners) Group the will be able to help you regain access.

If you have access to your Teams account in an app, please move your data to your local vault. Simply select it by clicking the first item in the list, holding Shift on your keyboard, and clicking the last item in the list. Then right-click it and select Share. From there just choose the vault you want to move it to and click Move. Once you're done with that, could you send Agile Bits an email at support@1password.com from the email address you used to sign up for your Teams account? Also include a link to this thread so they have some context. They will help you start over with a fresh vault. And when you get things set up again, please consider adding another member to your Recovery Group just in case you lose some of your info. :)

3. Single License setup

If you purchased a Single License setup and want to reset your Master Password you will be deleting not only the Vault with Passwords and other data, but also any backups, and preferences. If it is not ok that you lose everything then consider attempting to recover your Master Password.

If you want to Reset your master password follow the instructions on this page:

How do I start over with an empty vault?
    Pay attention to this statement on that page:

Starting over will delete all your vaults, backups and preferences. There’s no way to recover this data, so please be careful! Before starting over, use the Search feature at the top of the page to see if there’s an existing solution to the problem you’re facing.

If you do NOT want to delete all your vaults, backups, and preferences goto this page:

Recover your Master Password
    If you cannot Recover your master password you will have to delete

Whether you a) end up Starting Over or b) Recovering your Master Password, have a look at this page for ideas on how to create, and remember, a strong master password:
    How do I choose a good Master Password?

Sorry for the long answer but without knowing how you have 1Password setup I wanted to cover all of the possibilities and get you back using the software.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbachel,

I'm sorry to hear that you've forgotten your Master Password, I think a lot of us are a bit scared of that happening to us! Looking on the bright side, it seems like you had not yet started using 1Password and will not be losing anything. This means that the recovery will be quick and painless! I see that you have a standalone license, so the link that rogerdodger mentioned "How to start over with 1Password" will just do the trick for you!

Please let us know if everything goes well for you in this process! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.