Adding Attachments via iOS App [Possible with 1Password.com membership; no plans for standalone]

deanfisher
deanfisher
Community Member
edited February 2018 in iOS

Can attachments be added via the iOS app?

I keep images of cards, drivers licenses, etc in 1Password. To accomplish this I take pictures with my iPhone, crop the front and back pictures of the card, AirDrop the pics over to the Mac, open 1Password on the Mac and finally drag and drop the images from finder to 1Password.

There has to be an easier way. If you have any advice or if this could be a future feature, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @deanfisher,

I'm sorry that you find the process of attaching files annoying, I can see how it feels like that! Thank you for telling us how you'd like to use 1Password, we always like to hear from our users! For now you can't add attachments on iOS, so I think the way you deal with it is the most effective right now. I've added your vote for this feature to our tracker and maybe some day we'll see it on 1Password for iOS! :chuffed:

ref: OPI-1027

• jabbett
    jabbett
    Community Member

Yes, this! I'd love to take photos of all my membership cards, all my family's passports, etc., but the process on desktop is too cumbersome.

• Hi @jabbett,

It is currently possible to do that using Documents in a 1Password membership account (no desktop required). You can read about some of the other benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

And you can learn about how to migrate here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Odi55555
    Odi55555
    Community Member

I would love to use the new iOS 11 drag n drop feature to import some photos to 1Password.

• Thanks for the feedback @odi55555. :)

Ben

• Beiling
    Beiling
    Community Member

I have the same problem, please the feature

• @Beiling,

Which problem, exactly? :)

Ben

• Beiling
    Beiling
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

When I add some card to 1password, I usually only add some frequently used field on 1password, and save the picture or pdf as attachment.

When I need the less frequently used field, or I suspect some field is wrong, I'll open the attachment and look up the filed or check the field.

So I have following 2 demand:

1. Look attachment on 1password on iOS

Now to accomplish this, I open photos and spend some time to find out the card pictures, and look up.

If I did not find the card picture, I get to find out the card from My drawer and find the card from a lot of cards and check it.

1. Save pictures and PDF to 1password on iOS

Now to accomplish this, I take pictures with my iPhone, crop the front and back pictures of the card, AirDrop the pics over to the Mac, open 1Password on the Mac and finally drag and drop the images from finder to 1Password.

Please add 2 features above~
    @Ben

• @Beiling

Please see this post:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/385321/#Comment_385321

It is currently possible to create Documents, which work similar to attachments, within 1Password.com membership vaults. We do not have plans to bring this ability to standalone vaults.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Teniralc
    Teniralc
    Community Member

I recently switched to Family 1Password. I have jpg images of our driver's licenses in the "Driver License" area on the left. When I did the move to move all my passwords from my standalone 1Password to the Family everything transferred. But now when I tried to drag my new license to that folder (because I had to get my license renewed), it doesn't seem to accept the attachments. So do I now need to move all my attachments that I had in various areas (secure notes, passports, SS cards) all to new "Document" folders?

• @Teniralc

There is no direct analog of attachments in standalone vaults to 1Password membership vaults. The closest thing available would be Documents, which can be created on iOS. You should already see anything you had as an attachment in the Documents category?

Ben

• Teniralc
    Teniralc
    Community Member

Thank you, Ben. Yes, I see the documents all listed in a row in the Documents category.

• You’re welcome. :)

Ben

• pking
    pking
    Community Member

I am trying to add pictures to credit card entry’s on iOS 11.4 and it does not work.
    I am on family package and want to add to my private folder.

I am in the 30 day trial period.

I had ascendo, moved to Trukey and 1Password is the best !!! I am trying to mamimize the features.

• @pking,

1Password for iOS doesn’t (yet) support the “related items” feature, so you won’t be able to link one item to another, but you can upload a photo of your credit card in the Documents category.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• pking
    pking
    Community Member

Hi your clarification helps.

I tried to create a new document entry on my IPhone and nothing happens. I press + press on document ...... nothing then press another type and it works. Is this normal ??

And I tried in a document to press add a file button while modifiyinf the entry and nothing happens .

This behaviours do not seem normal unless trial period has limitations or they’re are bugs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pking: That definitely doesn't sound normal. Are you maybe in a view that involves one or more local vaults, like Primary, since Documents do not exist there? If you switch to a specific vault in your account, does that work? How about if you restart the device?

• pking
    pking
    Community Member

Hi brenty,

I had rebooted the device in my first testing and in case did it again now.

I am a @1password.ca in trial family account configuration.

I added a new test vault, I forced new items (in the apps options) to be created in that vault

Selected only the test vault. I tried to create a document entry and nothing happened: “+” “document” (nothing happened) (i then pressed) “password” ( and a item was created).

I want to use the document entry’s for pictures of my documents.

Thanks

• pking
    pking
    Community Member

Hi brenty,

I had rebooted the device in my first testing and in case did it again now.

I am a @1password.ca in trial family account configuration.

I added a new test vault, I forced new items to be created in that vault, I selected only the test vault. I tried to create a document vault and nothing happened. “+” “document” (nothing happened) (i then pressed) “password” ( and a item was created).

What more can be done do you have any debug?

I really want to use the document entry’s for pictures of my documents.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pking: Hmm. That's sounds really odd. I'm sorry that you're still having trouble with this. The best thing to do will be to reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#JHG-56366-982]

If you’re reading this and you are not pking, this Support ID is for pking only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: JHG-56366-982

• pking
    pking
    Community Member

It’s done,

I used the diagnostics menu to create the message. Using the link did not work.

And I added the follow up number

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pking - great! One of us will be with you shortly. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

In case it helps anyone else, when any 3rd party app tries to access the photo library (or microphone, camera, etc.) the first time, you're prompted to allow that or deny access, and iOS remembers your choice even if you don't. iOS will never ask you again, but you can enable it in iOS Settings > 1Password > Photos at any time. Cheers! :)

• kelangst2
    kelangst2
    Community Member

Pretty dumb that they want you to subscribe in order to get this fundamental feature😡. If we spent money on the license already and prefer not to have any of our information associated with any cloud service then you are SOL. I think it would be better to allow this feature to be deployed for those of us who purchased the licenses.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kelangst2! Thanks for the feedback. To be clear, this isn't a feature we've kept from standalone users to attempt to get them to subscribe. It's never existed in standalone 1Password for iOS because it's not trivial to add that feature for attachments (which is how files must be uploaded in standalone 1Password). You've always been able to add images, documents, etc, as attachments to other items in standalone 1Password on the desktop side (Mac and Windows), but not directly from your iOS device. But because the server backend of 1password.com accounts allowed us to do a number of things that weren't possible with standalone data synced via a variety of 3rd party services, we're now able to offer it relatively simply to those who do have a 1password.com account, by means of the Documents category.

I think it would be better to allow this feature to be deployed for those of us who purchased the licenses.

If you purchased a license for either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, then as I said, that would be the place to add files as attachments to any items you want in standalone 1Password; it's what everyone including us had to do prior to the creation of 1password.com memberships, and it's still possible today. There are no "licenses" officially for 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android -- there is only a $10 in-app purchase to unlock the Pro Features. Hope that helps clarify things a bit, but let us know if you have additional questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.