I receive lines of code when I click the 1 icon on Safari instead of the login link

Options
hifiwizard
hifiwizard
Community Member

When I click on the "helper" 1 icon on the Safari menu bar I now see lines of code instead of the normal automatic completion of the user name and password. This is quite recent and may have happened since I upgraded to the latest El Capitan version.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I receive lines of code when I click the 1 icon on Safari instead of the login link

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @hifiwizard,

That sounds like an interesting issue. I'd like to ask you a couple of questions to get a better picture of what's going on so we can find a solution. Do you see this behaviour on every page or just on a specific one? Could you please tell us if the same thing happens on other browsers and on 1Password mini on your Mac's menu bar? If you create a new item, does it work correctly? It would also help us if we could see a screenshot of this, so we can know exactly what we're dealing with!

I hope to hear back from you so we can get to the bottom of this! :chuffed:

• hifiwizard
    hifiwizard
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Pilar

Thank you for the response. A typical reaction is pasted below. It's similar, different code of course, every time now that I click on the
    ➀ symbol on the menu bar. It happens with all web sites with Safari and it has happened with Chrome, though I've just tried it now with a couple of sites and Chrome has behaved.

I did delete the extension for Safari and then it worked for just that one occasion but now seems to be problematic again.

Does that give you all you need? Thank you for the help.

• tullyhansen
    tullyhansen
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @hifiwizard,

When you say 'lines of code', you mean the coloured text in the bottom two thirds of your screenshot, right? If so, I think I might know what the trouble is… it looks like whatever button you're clicking in the toolbar (the silver-grey strip at the top of the Safari window) is bringing up Safari's Web Inspector (which shows you the code under the hood of the current webpage) rather than the expected 1Password Mini window.

Turns out there's a Web Inspector button that looks suspiciously similar to the 1Password button (a lowercase 'i' in a circle, as opposed 1P's lock icon):

Somewhere along the line you may have replaced one with the other, or you might in fact have both! You can rearrange, add or remove toolbar icons by going to 'Customise Toolbar…' in the View menu in Safari, then clicking and dragging icons on and off.

Hope this helps! If not, let the thread know and we can keep digging?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hifiwizard,

I think tullyhansen may have just hit the nail on the head! Indeed, in your screenshot it appears you've enabled Safari's Web Inspector, which is mostly covering the website you're viewing. I hadn't previously realized there was a Web Inspector button that could be added to the Safari toolbar, but now that I see it, it does look very similar to the icon for the 1Password browser extension - I can see how that would cause some confusion!

Please go to Safari > Preferences and click the Extensions tab. Do you have the 1Password extension installed? If not, you can reinstall it by following the steps here: Installing browser extensions

Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• hifiwizard
    hifiwizard
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all! That's the answer, the Web Inspector. Why I started doing that I don't know, because the 1 Password button is up there as well. Anyway, I've removed the WI button to avoid further confusion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.