Terminal Server Support [Planned, no ETA]

asbpgh
asbpgh
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi there! Curious if subsequent releases of the Windows version will included terminal server support? We have two servers that each house 15 users and we'd love to use all that 1Password has to offer (browser extensions and native app). I understand that right now only a max of 10 users could use that functionality based on the connections available between the extensions and the app. Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @asbpgh terminal server support is definitely something we are looking forward to accomplish. While we didn't test it thoroughly, we have added few steps to ensure that 1Password 6 will be TS friendly.

• asbpgh
    asbpgh
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile awesome! Do you feel that it's at a point where we should be able to beta test the software with our users in a TS environment? If it's mostly functional I think we'd be happy to give it a go and provide feedback.

• @asbpgh we are yet to setup infrastructure and test it ourselves, but if you let me know what's not working - I might be able to fix it faster. 10 users limitation is present at the moment, but I hope this is the only limitation so far ;)

• asbpgh
    asbpgh
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile Great - we'll get 1Password installed on our servers and begin testing. I will definitely keep you apprised of any issues. Regarding the 10 user cap - any idea when that is slated to be addressed? Thanks so much for your help so far!

• Hi @asbpgh,

No timeframe on this yet but we'll follow up with you as soon as we have an update available that should address this.

• Hi @asbpgh,

One thing to keep in mind is that our browser extension support is minimal at the moment, a lot of updates are coming in the next few months to improve this and to build it up with saving support, credit card/Identity filling, auto-submit and many more.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@MikeT will all this updates be available before the public version 6.0 at the first of august?

• Hi @ntimo,

For the extensions, yes, the current plan is to get the extension in a good state before we even consider shipping it. A large number of our users use our extensions more than the app. It's sometime in August timeframe, August 1st isn't a sure thing.

If we're talking about Terminal Service updates, then we don't know. It is possible the work we're doing for the extensions may allow us to fix the restrictions on the fly as well.

• asbpgh
    asbpgh
    Community Member

Hey AgileBits team - curious if any headway has been made on Terminal Server support? Now that it seems like v6 for Windows is out of Beta (right?), we are looking to push ahead with full scale testing on our Terminal Servers. Not only am I curious if there is a TS support roadmap, but is there any info you guys have on how to best install on a TS for all users? So far, it seems like it only installs for user running install, even when using "Install Application on Remote Desktop Server" app. We are running Server 2012 R2. Thanks!

• asbpgh
    asbpgh
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile sorry for not tagging you in my post on 10-31-16. Any thoughts on Terminal Server support at the moment? Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @asbpgh,

We do apologize about the delay, we're under a huge support volume right now.

There hasn't been any progress for Terminal Server support. It does require local user install and still has the ten concurrent users limit for the browser extensions. We're making progress on that concurrency issue but we don't have a timeframe on the proper fix.

Your users can install 1Password as is, it's just that 1Password cannot let more than ten users using the 1Password browser extensions on the same server because of its dependency on the localhost ports for the websocket communications. The program and 1Password mini will work but not the extensions.

• @asbpgh no worries, I'm trying to keep up as much as possible, but thank you for tagging me now!

Terminal Server support consists of two parts - app support and browser extension support. 1Password 6 for Windows has necessary support backed in already, we are working on extension part. I can not give any estimates or promises, but I can tell this is quite high on our priorities list. :)

As for installer, it has %localappdata%\1password\app\6 path selected by default, I believe you can change it by running

msiexec /i AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.msi TARGETDIR=c:\shared\1password

Personally I'd advise against shared components, makes more trouble in the long run. For example, one user has updated to beta channel, then all other users are updated without their consent. Or someone is trying to update his app, while others are working. But I guess you are not expecting users to manage app themselves.

P.S. as an admin you might find some interest in 1password.json file in the app folder, it's pretty self-explanatory.

• Hi,
    would you please so kind an send me a download link for the MSI packet?

Thanks in Advance!
    All the best Markus

• Hi @evendark,

Thanks for writing in. We do not offer MSI files anymore, you can find the latest downloads from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

We use Inno Setup, so you can find the setup options from here.

This discussion has been closed.