Had to delete and re-create a secondary vault when it stopped working

Options
Marmot123
Marmot123
Community Member

Hi 1Password community,

I have a macbook pro running OS version 10.11.5 on which I have one user I'll call home and user work (though I work from home), with the idea of keeping the two somewhat separate. Anyway, I installed 1password while logged in as the home user and made my primary vault starting out with the usual things that would go in there. The primary vault's synched using iCloud, though I've not started using 1password on my iPad or iPhone yet.

Then I set it up for work and it worked great but then the next day nothing worked from the work vault. I hadn't synched it with anything I guess with the idea that I'd only use as the work user, though maybe I should synch it. If that's a best practice even when the intent is to only use the work vault while logged into my mac with the work account, then I'll definitely do that, and was wondering what people would suggest as the best way to do this for the second or other additional vaults? It seems that you can synch the primary with iCloud but you you have to choose a folder or dropbox for the additional ones. I don't really use Dropbox right now much but if that's a best approach to synching I'll do it for the secondary vault..

BTW, I have firefox and chrome extensions going on both home and work users, and plan on getting to on Safari is on my todo list. I tend to use different browsers for different things especially at work. In addition to browsers, I use native apps for Trello, Slack, and others.

Anyway, when I tried to re-install browser extensions, the error on both chrome and firefox was something about not being able to find the app. If I clicked on a link to install the extension the links in both browsers took me to chrome where it didn't work. I should have noted the exact error messages or taken screen shots but I got a bit stressed and so just ended up deleting the work vault in the App and then created another vault called work, and started adding logins. It worked and the browser extensions worked, too. So here are some questions related to what happened:

1. From what I've described any ideas on what I did wrong and are there adjustments I should make now? I'd like to make sure I have it setup correctly and minimize the chances that something like this will happen again.

2. Also, the old vault with the same name "work" is still there so now I have two secondary vaults called work. I'd like to delete the extra one completely, Though I have it selected as the default when I'm using my Mac as the work user, it's still slightly confusing to have two vaults called work. I should have given new one a second name. On my home user the two vaults are primary and `demo vault.

Thank you.

Neil

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Neil ( @Marmot123 ),

Welcome to the AgileBits support forums!

Then I set it up for work and it worked great but then the next day nothing worked from the work vault. I hadn't synched it with anything I guess with the idea that I'd only use as the work user, though maybe I should synch it.

I'm not quite clear on how you went about setting up 1Password for work, so I'll explain the steps that I would take:

• Open the work user on the Mac.
    • Install the 1Password app.
    • Set up 1Password - if your work user account has access to your iCloud data, you will have the option to set up 1Password to unlock with this data, or if you would prefer, you could set up the app as a new user and only have your work data in this account.
    • Install the 1Password browser extensions.

If the only place that you need this work data is on this user account of your Mac, there is no need to sync it anywhere. 1Password will make daily backups of your data so that you always have something to restore to in case anything happens. If you do want to add syncing, just so your data is away from your computer in case something happens to your Mac, that's an option as well.

It seems that you can synch the primary with iCloud but you you have to choose a folder or dropbox for the additional ones. I don't really use Dropbox right now much but if that's a best approach to synching I'll do it for the secondary vault.

Yes. At this time, iCloud sync is only available for the primary vault. I'd be happy to walk you through the process of setting up Dropbox sync for any secondary vaults if you would like.

Anyway, when I tried to re-install browser extensions, the error on both chrome and firefox was something about not being able to find the app.

Did you set up the 1Password app on your work user account? It sounds to me like this may be where things are getting tangled up.

• Marmot123
    Marmot123
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Megan, thank you for your response, i set it up Password on my home user, setup the primary vault synch it, got it connected with various personal accounts, then later on opened the app with my work user synched the primary vault, which worked fine, setup my work vault, didn't synch it because didn't need to. Then worked and all day everything was fine. Then the next day the second day the trouble started.

Perhaps I should just start over with setting up just the work user on my work account with no synch for now. Then if if later I find the need, i'll check out the docs on the dropbox method or possibly folder method if it's just for accounts on that machine presumably, though I'll read the docs before I proceed with that if the need arises. Really I've only installed a couple work related things on mobile, and they're apps that have personal as well as business use (e.g., Trello) so it seems reasonable to just put a couple work related things the primary vault. That seems like a good approach but I'm not sure. It'd be nice not to have to see the work vault all the time and kind of play. These are things that perhaps only some experience using this app reveal but I'm open to suggestions.

Do you think stating over without synching on the work side is best? I think that's what you're saying. Things are set on the home and mobile side though I've not done anything with the app up on the mobile side yet, it synchs, and all seems to be okay with how things work. Do I have it right on what you think would be best way to handle the work side for now?

I really appreciate your thorough response and though I didn't give a full picture of my situation you were able extrapolate what could have happened. In your description of how you would have set 1Password up from the start you provided me enough information to solve the problem, while leaving room for more information from me. That was the perfect technical response! Thank you.

Neil

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Neil ( @Marmot123 ),

Thanks so much for following up here. I think I have a better idea of your situation now. I’m glad that your personal information is syncing nicely between your personal account on your Mac and your mobile device - that’s a great start!

It'd be nice not to have to see the work vault all the time and kind of play.

This is one of the reasons that we designed multiple vaults. It’s so great to be able to keep your personal information separate from your work stuff. If you do decide to keep work and personal information in one vault, using tags can be very helpful to ensure that you know which items are used for what.

Do you think stating over without synching on the work side is best?

I’m not sure if we need to start over here. If you have the app installed on your work account, with your personal vault and a secondary vault for your work stuff, it sounds like you’ve been doing everything right so far. Let’s review where things are at right now and see what still needs to be tweaked:

Mac, personal user account

• 1Password is set up with primary vault (holding personal information), syncing via iCloud.
    • Browser extensions work properly.

iOS device

• 1Password is set up with primary vault (holding personal information), syncing via iCloud.

Mac, work user account

• A secondary vault named ‘work’ was created.
    • The next day, nothing in the work account worked.
    • Browser extensions were reinstalled, but there was an error message that could not find the 1Password app.
    • Secondary vault was deleted, and another was created.
    • At this time, 1Password is working correctly with both the primary vault and your work vault. ??

Then if if later I find the need, i'll check out the docs on the dropbox method or possibly folder method if it's just for accounts on that machine presumably, though I'll read the docs before I proceed with that if the need arises.

There’s definitely no need to set up sync now - unless you want that work vault to appear on your mobile device.

• Marmot123
    Marmot123
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Yes, 1Password works in both personal and work mac user accounts, and yes synch to mobile but I've not done anything beyond that yet.

I created a second work vault, brilliantly named work too, the same name as the original that works (not synched), though I can't seem to get completely delete the original vault named work. Despite deleting the original work vault it still shows up on the list of vaults. Not a big problem but more of a reduce clutter thing.

All the browser extensions work though, though I've not sure if I'll use 1Password for Safari. In both personal and work mac user, I tend to use Chrome and Firefox for account related and Safari for other things like researching something. Then, of course, there are some native apps that I will likely use 1Password for some and possibly all of those. I'd imagine the typical user adds some initial logins usually the most important, adds more when time, then adjusts the mix over time as needed. TMI?

A minor problem: is I sometimes of using the wrong login in cases where I have more than one user for the same app or account. I think at least part of the solution to this is more distinct names for logins.

Next steps (I think):
    1. optimize a bit (I'm open to suggestions but next step might be to read docs as I've not really defined optimize for this context)
    2. rename some logins for clarity.
    3. Setup mobile (Either I'll do that now or procrastinate)

I realize my writing style isn't exactly Hemingway. Working on it. Need brevity. Probably more use of Markdown in my questions would help.

Thank you!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marmot123 I'm glad everything seems to be working now! Regarding your next steps...

1. optimize a bit (I'm open to suggestions but next step might be to read docs as I've not really defined optimize for this context)

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean with this, so I'm not sure how we can help. What do you mean by "optimize" in this case?

1. rename some logins for clarity.

You can do that by selecting a login, hitting Edit, changing its title, and hitting Save. If all you want to do is make it clearer what items are what you do not have to edit any other fields in the working logins.

1. Setup mobile (Either I'll do that now or procrastinate)

Whichever you choose, we'll be here to help :)

This discussion has been closed.