How to create a bookmarklet in Firefox 47?

Options
LosInvalidos
LosInvalidos
Community Member

So I open the "manage bookmarks" window in Firefox 47. Drag one 1p object into the view displaying the content of an existing bookmarks folder.

Currently: nothing

Expected: login bookmark should be created.

Might be missing something here, but iirc this is how I used to do this so far when setting up login bookmarks.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: -
Referrer: forum-search:firefox bookmarklet

Comments

• tullyhansen
    tullyhansen
    Community Member
    Options

Just trawling the forums and saw your post – not a big Firefox user, but can confirm I see the same behaviour (can't drag an item from 1P to a folder in the 'Show All Bookmarks' browser) in Firefox 47 on OS X 10.11.5.

As a workaround, you can select 'New Bookmark…' then drag your 1P item to the 'Location:' field – an extra click, and a smaller target, but something! Hope this helps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos,

I hope tullyhansen's workaround is helpful for you! It looks like there may have been a Firefox update at some point which changed the way that works. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

1. Is there a ticket for this bug on AgileBits side?
    2. If yes, which ID does the ticket have?
    3. How can I keep track of the ticket state?
    4. Can I be notified once this has been fixed?
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

Well there's a firefox bug, where users cannot add new bookmarks to an existing folder when firefox is in german locale.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos,

Are you seeing the same thing as the original poster? If so, does Tully’s workaround work for you?

At this time, it seems like this was a change made by Firefox and not 1Password, so I’m not sure if this is something that we can fix on our end, but we’ll certainly keep an eye on this.

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

Huh? From what I can tell I am the OP, no?

No the workaround does not work. There's another bug where no new bookmarks can be created using that method. See comment: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/313903/#Comment_313903

I am with you, that there seems to have been a change on Firefox's side of things. I am not sure, who's to blame and / or fix the problem though. It's in the stable release, so chances are, the change causing this problem is here to stay.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos,

Huh? From what I can tell I am the OP, no?

My apologies, I’m not sure how I got things confused there ...

Well there's a firefox bug, where users cannot add new bookmarks to an existing folder when firefox is in german locale.

I hope that Firefox is able to resolve this soon!

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

The bug is related to BookMacster, a bookmark manager software. Persisting in 48.0.1 but gone in latest nightly. So not sure who's at fault here for causing the trouble with the wrong "New bookmark" menu in Firefox, which was suggested as a workaround for the 1P issue with creating bookmarklets in Firefox.

The original reported bug continues nonetheless and is not related to the other problem. So my question is, does the original problem of not being able to create 1P bookmarklets via drag and drop to the firefox bookmark manager, exist in AgileBits bug database? And if so, what's the current state of that?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos,

So my question is, does the original problem of not being able to create 1P bookmarklets via drag and drop to the firefox bookmark manager, exist in AgileBits bug database? And if so, what's the current state of that?

It does appear there is a related issue (if not the same issue) already filed toward the beginning of this month.

I'm having trouble calling this a bug in 1Password, though. This does still work with Safari, and used to work with Firefox. As far as I can tell we haven't made any changes to the way this works in some time. I'll certainly pass the message along to our development team that it is not currently working in Firefox (which I was able to confirm) for them to investigate if there is anything on our end that we can do to improve this.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: OPX-1221

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

Update for Firefox 49 stable: After uninstalling BookMacster the issue remains that items from 1P cannot be dragged into the Bookmark manager aka Library in Firefox 49. No new bookmark is created.
    The workaround to first create a bookmark and then drag the 1P item into the URL field works fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update. I'm glad the workaround helps at least!

This discussion has been closed.