Recognizing phone numbers in notes

Options
manolosavi
manolosavi
Community Member

I have added a note in my vault where I'm keeping a bunch of contacts that need to have the phone numbers of, but they're not people I contact often at all [like the car shop etc] so they would only be cluttering my contacts on the phone app. I think it would be nice if you could recognize [or add the option to] phone numbers in notes so that we can just tap to call, instead of copy/pasting the number.

Unrelated: I'm on iOS 10 [iPhone 6s] and I noticed the labels on the tab bar show on the side of the icon until you tap on them. You've probably noticed this already but thought I should mention it just in case.

1Password Version: 6.5 [650005]
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10 [14A5261v]
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @manolosavi

Thanks for the request! I'm not sure we have an open feature request for that but I'll take a look :)

I have a workaround for this that I use, though it doesn't involve 1Password at all. I have an "Infrequently used" group in my contacts. If you're using iCloud for your contacts you can add it from the iCloud.com website in the Contacts "app" by clicking the + button. Then on your iPhone or iPad you'll see a "Groups" option in the Contacts section of the Phone app (or Contacts on iPad). You can simply uncheck that group so it isn't displayed in your normal list.

I actually have several groups, and my only enabled list are those that I talk to frequently enough. It makes finding contacts so much easier that I've found it really well worth the effort.

That isn't to say we can't also support tapping on phone numbers in notes fields but this one has the added benefit of being able to see who is calling by name as well. That's why I use this method because the caller ID still works as it should.

As for the drawing issue in iOS 10, yup, definitely aware of that one :) Hopefully we can get it fixed up in a future beta. We're hoping to release at least a few more iOS 9 builds that contain some larger changes that we want more testing on and therefore need more users testing it. Naturally moving to a beta OS reduces our available beta testers, once we switch to iOS 10 betas that'll really get us focusing on fixing some of those more weird iOS 10 bugs. Thankfully the app still works as it should besides a few weird drawing problems.

• manolosavi
    manolosavi
    Community Member
    Options

@AGKyle that's actually not a bad idea, but I still prefer to keep them separate since I never need to see their caller IDs or anything like that, but thanks anyways!

Thought you might be aware already haha I also have some weird painting issues on my iOS 10 app…oh well. And yeah I totally understand this isn't a priority yet, plus afaik external testing hasn't been enabled for iOS 10 yet. For what it's worth, I'm having the same experience you mention, so far I've had no issues except for that tab bar painting thing, but the app still has been working great for me, so that's good.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @manolosavi

It was worth a shot to offer an alternative but I can certainly understand your reasoning :)

I'll double check for a bug report / feature request on this and make sure it's properly noted!

Great to hear your experience with iOS 10 and 1Password has been good and only that drawing issue. I'd like to see that get fixed up soon though!

This discussion has been closed.