Feature request: Native Google Drive syncing option

Options
ejstone25
ejstone25
Community Member

I'm really hoping there are plans in the works to allow native syncing with Google Drive in the next version. I had to sign up for a Dropbox account because you can't sync multiple vaults through iCloud apparently, and I have 2 Mac's plus an iPad and iPhone that I use the software on. I already have a Google Drive account, and it makes more sense (for me anyway) to use it than having to use another service.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ejstone25

Thanks for the request!

I'm not aware of any plans to support Google Drive in the next version. Not to say it won't come in the future but probably not the next release at least. Adding sync options are really complicated. I think I've gone through this in a previous post but there's a lot to it and I can give it another go:

First we have to have a developer look at the APIs available and see if the service supports the feature we need. This is often because our particular file format works in a particular way that we need to do certain things to make the sync solution work as intended.

If a service passes that test, we then have to have a developer try to do a proof of concept and see where any weirdness may pop up. Turns out these types of things rarely go according to plan so a developer may encounter trouble and then we have to rethink things and that can get messy as it may impact other sync options in smaller ways.

Each sync solution has it's own set of pros and cons so this is where we start to learn some of those.

Beta testing, quality assurance testing, documentation, and training for our support team are all other things that need to be done. This is all done for each platform... so Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android all have to do their own things for this. That's a pretty massive under taking.

The killer for us though is the maintenance. Turns out, in a vast majority of cases bugs are found in sync services by actually using it and the word thing that can happen here is that no one on the team uses a sync service and gets little testing. If we're not testing then we end up hearing about bugs from users rather than us finding them first. That's not the experience we want our users to have. We're a small team so having all of us using different sync services is perhaps unrealistic as we all have our favorites and right now a bulk of our team is also working on 1Password Teams and 1Password Families, so we're all using that due to the advantages it gives us as a team.

Again, not to say that Google Drive sync won't come in the future, but the sheer amount of work involved means it's something we have to feel 100% committed to and right now it's not set for the next version. I'm just trying to setup the expectations accordingly here. The easy answer would've been "I've noted your request" and moved on but I hope by giving a little more detail that you'll see we do in fact take these requests seriously and want to make sure you understand the undertaking involved in implementing a new sync feature. It's something that takes months of work and testing.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I hope that helps explain things more. I think all of us on the team would love to see Google Drive get supported since we see users asking for it fairly often, but it does need to be rolled out across all platforms at the same time and that's a major investment, particularly when we're still trying to bring some amount of feature parity across platforms as is.

This discussion has been closed.