Can't get 1Password to open on my new iPad

AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member

I've tried about 6 times to enter my license key #, my email address and my master password on my new iPad Air. It continues to reject the information as invalid. I have 1P working just fine on 3 laptops, 2 other iPads and 2 iPhones -- all are using the same family license I purchased in 2013. What do I need to do to get 1P working on my new iPad Air?

1Password Version: 6.4.2 on iOS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMCarter3,

I’m so sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you’re using a standalone license for 1Password, which means that when you set up 1Password on your new iPad, you’ll want to select the option to use 1Password without an account.

1Password accounts (for 1Password for Teams and 1Password Families) are a recent addition and provide an alternative way for you to share and sync your data. If you’re using 1Password with a family license, it sounds like you’re not signed up for a 1Password account. If you select the option to use 1Password without an account, you’ll be able to point 1Password at your existing data stored in Dropbox or iCloud.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Perfect. That sure worked. I did not know about the new accounts. Thanks.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Megan, it mostly worked. After it finsihed sync'ing (which only took a couple of minutes for my 860 log-in's), I noticed that only 5 of my 13 categories are showing up on my new iPad Air. All 13 show up on all the rest of our devices. What should I do to fix that?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Also... I did 3 manual sync's just to be sure it had fully sync'd.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

It's sync'd all 861 of my "items", but not all of the categories ... like Bank Accounts, Passports, Social Security #'s, etc.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMCarter3,

Sorry for the confusion there! Indeed, all of your items will sync, and you'll be able to access them all from the "All Items" category (and/or Favorites), but using the free version of the app limits you to a few basic categories. The additional categories are an organizational feature included in Pro Features, which you can unlock with an optional one-time, in-app purchase.

I hope this helps. Please do let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you. :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Actually, I own 1P Pro. That is why I have said earlier that my 13 categories show in 1P on all of our other computers and devices. So, do I have the wrong app on this iPad Air?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, @AMCarter3, and sorry I misunderstood that initially.

There's only one 1Password app for iOS at this time. It sounds like you have it in the free/basic mode right now and just need to unlock the Pro Features.

The Pro Features in-app purchase is tied to your Apple ID, so make sure you're logged into the App Store with the same Apple ID on your iPad Air as on the other devices. Then open 1Password on the iPad Air, go to Settings > Pro features, and tap Restore Purchase. Does that restore your Pro Features for you?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

That did it! Thanks!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I think a contributing factor in my situation is the fact that while the correct name of the app is ""1Password Pro, the name Agilebits calls it is "1Password". That name discrepancy has always confused me. In this situation, it's been a long time since I had to initialize a new computer or device. I did not remember that I've had purchased and have been using the "Pro" version for years. Perhaps you could pass along my comments to Dave?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Woohoo! I'm glad everything is working now, @AMCarter3. That is great news. :)

There used to be an app called "1Password Pro" many moons ago. Way back in the 1Password 3 days, there were actually three apps:

• 1Password for iPhone. This was the first 1Password app ever released for an iOS device. It was released before the iPad even existed and was originally called "1Password touch".
    • 1Password for iPad. This was released once the iPad became available. It was a separate app because it wasn't clear at the time that all apps would one day be "universal" (i.e. running on all iOS devices).
    • 1Password Pro. This was a third app that was literally just a universal binary that combined 1Password for iPhone and 1Password for iPad. It was sort of like buying a boxed set of the two best albums by your favorite artist. It was slightly less expensive than buying 1Password for iPhone and 1Password for iPad separately.

If you think that's a lot to try and understand, you're right. When 1Password 4 was released in 2012, we did away with all that. 1Password 4 for iOS debuted as a universal app that worked on both iPhone and iPad. There was no longer a 1Password Pro app. (So it's been about 4 years since 1Password Pro existed.)

After a while, we decided to make 1Password for iOS free, and we added some additional features that could be bought as an in-app purchase. We called these features (perhaps confusingly, considering the history of the term): Pro features.

Anyone who purchased 1Password for iOS (the modern, universal app) was grandfathered in to the Pro features. They got them free without having to pay again. So it's possible you never bought the Pro features separately. If you bought 1Password 4 for iOS when it came out, you got them free.

Anyway, it sounded like you might have been interested in the history. If not, sorry to bore you. You can safely ignore me next time I start rambling. :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Khad, thanks for the history. Interesting. I've owned /used 1P since way back and can say 3 things about it: 1) it is great! it is unquestionably the most important app in our tech life now -- we manage and sync tons of personal info through it across our computers, iPads, and iPhones; 2) sometimes it does get confusing (your team has helped me get through some REALLY dificult issues over the years; and 3) I really appreciate the effort put into making 1P a "gold" standard app.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for your incredibly kind words, @AMCarter3! I will be sharing them with the whole team here. :)

What a way to head into the weekend! I hope have as great of a weekend as you just set me up to have. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.