Sync with Dropbox failure

Options
jonpryor
jonpryor
Community Member

On an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.3.2, with 1Password 6.4.2 and Dropbox 11.2.

After uninstalling both 1Password and Dropbox, then reinstalling both, I:

1. Start 1Password
  2. Tap Use without an account
  3. Tap Sync with Dropbox
  4. Get "popped" over to Dropbox to login, where I select a Dropbox account.
    • Note: Both a personal and corporate Dropbox are available, but I'm only logged into my personal dropbox.
  5. Quickly see Activating before Dropbox pops me back to 1Password
  6. Wait ~30 seconds. (I haven't timed with a stopwatch.)
  7. 1Password shows a dialog box:

Error Listing Keychains
    1Password encountered a problem.
    Dismiss

Previously I just created a new "fake" vault simply so I could get to the Diagnostics screen, where I enabled every possible log setting, generated a log file when attempting to add a new vault, and then emailed the log to myself.

It doesn't look good:

DropboxClientTimeout = 60;
    LogDropbox = 1;
    "dropbox.sync.nonce" = "<omitted...>";
   Thu Jun 23 18:09:36 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateInactive][APP:(Main Thread):<OPAppDelegate: 0x13c625ab0>] S performCleanupAndDatabaseMigrationTasks | No active profile found, deleting all keychain services, user preferences, and unlinking Dropbox accounts from previous install (if any).
Thu Jun 23 18:10:07 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateActive][DROPBOX:(Secondary Thread 0x13c7e8e50):<OPDropboxFileSyncService: Dropbox, 0x13c65f730>] E findAllKeychainPathsWithName:completion: | Failed to find agilekeychain paths with name <(null)>: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "(null)" UserInfo={path=/, keyword=.agilekeychain, OPDropboxErrorRetryAfterKey=0}
Thu Jun 23 18:11:20 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateActive][DROPBOX:(Secondary Thread 0x13c7c8710):<OPDropboxFileSyncService: Dropbox, 0x13d846970>] E findAllKeychainPathsWithName:completion: | Failed to find opvault paths with name <(null)>: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "(null)" UserInfo={path=/, keyword=.opvault, OPDropboxErrorRetryAfterKey=0}
Thu Jun 23 18:12:45 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateInactive][DROPBOX:(Secondary Thread 0x13c7480c0):<OPDropboxFileSyncService: Dropbox, 0x13c747d20>] E findAllKeychainPathsWithName:completion: | Failed to find opvault paths with name <(null)>: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "(null)" UserInfo={path=/, keyword=.opvault, OPDropboxErrorRetryAfterKey=0}
Thu Jun 23 18:14:35 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateActive][DROPBOX:(Secondary Thread 0x13c5ca0d0):<OPDropboxFileSyncService: Dropbox, 0x13c628180>] E findAllKeychainPathsWithName:completion: | Failed to find agilekeychain paths with name <(null)>: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "(null)" UserInfo={path=/, keyword=.agilekeychain, OPDropboxErrorRetryAfterKey=0}

What jumps out to me are the Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 messages, which appears to be a timeout error.

A previous forum post suggests trying to use cellular networking. I've been unable to connect with both cellular and WiFi networking. I've also repeatedly tried reinstalling both 1Password and Dropbox -- no effect -- and rebooting my iPhone -- also no effect.

I'm not sure what else to try. Even if I "create" a new vault, I'm unable to connect to Dropbox.

There's also a Yak-shaving aspect to this. (Because of course there is.)

Somehow across my period OS X devices, my desktop was using Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. My laptop was using Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault. (How? No idea.) The laptop was missing ~100 entries from my desktop, and I realize that they're not even using the same source, so, thinks I, this should be fixed. Plus, since .opvault files are the new hawtness, what I should do is clear the OPVault data store from my laptop, migrate to OPVault on my desktop, let Dropbox sync everything...

...then forget about the laptop and try to migrate the 1Password DB on my iPhone.

I forget the specifics of what happened next (doh!), but I reset the 1Password database on my phone because I couldn't figure out how to update the Dropbox folder without doing so, and I hit the scenario described at the top.

Look around a bit more, and see that on my Desktop the OPVault data was in the same place as it was on my laptop -- Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault. Fearing that the extra Apps folder was a problem, I moved the OPVault file to Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault within Finder, which 1Password appears to have accepted. Switch back to the iPhone, and it still can't find anything.

One oddity is that Finder and the Dropbox website have different opinions about the directory structure (!). Finder shows 1Password/1Password.opvault, while the Dropbox website shows just 1Password.opvault, as does the iPhone app.

I have no idea if this means anything.

I also see a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file in Dropbox, with the contents of Apps/1Password.opvault, so assuming that that's meaningful, I moved 1Password.opvault back to Apps/1Password.opvault via the website interface (which I'm sure will screw up my desktop in, oh, 5 minutes), and 1Password on the iPhone still can't list the keychains.

Feature request: Could we enable the extra diagnostic logging without having a vault setup?

Feature request: Could 1Password sync to multiple sources for a given vault, e.g. both iCloud and Dropbox?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonpryor,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Feature request: Could 1Password sync to multiple sources for a given vault, e.g. both iCloud and Dropbox?

We actually allowed this at one point, but syncing to just one source is already super complex. It was causing way too many problems for folks. One source would sync but the other wouldn't. Or one device that only synced to one source would be offline while another device that syncing to the other source would still be syncing. It was a pretty big mess. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be making a comeback.

Feature request: Could we enable the extra diagnostic logging without having a vault setup?

I'll ask the devs about this. My guess is that there isn't anything to log if you haven't actually set up a single vault.

As for the main issue you are having, what happens if you uninstall the Dropbox app from your iPhone and allow 1Password to authenticate to Dropbox directly (instead of relying on the Dropbox app for auth)? Do you see the list of vaults then?

Do you have a canonical source for your data? If so, we could start over everywhere else and just propagate from that. If not, we can merge the data (if it is still different; that part wasn't completely clear to me).

• jonpryor
    jonpryor
    Community Member
    Options

what happens if you uninstall the Dropbox app from your iPhone and allow 1Password to authenticate to Dropbox directly (instead of relying on the Dropbox app for auth)? Do you see the list of vaults then?

Yes. That works!

Now everything is synced.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't have thought to try without having the Dropbox app installed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Woohoo! I'm glad the solution was that simple. That is great news, @jonpryor. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

• jonpryor
    jonpryor
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, it has stopped working on my iPhone. :-(

I tap: Settings > Vaults > Primary > Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox

Then I logout and log back into Dropbox, get the Searching for 1Password data in Dropbox... dialog, and it fails as before:

Error Listing Keychains

1Password encountered a problem.

Dismiss

I think that the sync happened after I installed the Dropbox mobile app, but human memory being what it is, that could be wrong. That said, I've uninstalled the Dropbox app, and I'm still experiencing this error.

• jonpryor
    jonpryor
    Community Member
    Options

As before, I went into Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, selected everything, and emailed the report to myself. The report doesn't appear to be any different:

Mon Jun 27 20:28:50 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateActive][DROPBOX:(Secondary Thread 0x1258f4210):<OPDropboxFileSyncService: Dropbox, 0x125f5b8f0>] E findAllKeychainPathsWithName:completion: | Failed to find agilekeychain paths with name <(null)>: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "(null)" UserInfo={path=/, keyword=.agilekeychain, OPDropboxErrorRetryAfterKey=0}
    Mon Jun 27 20:28:50 2016| 642004 [ApplicationStateActive][UI_SYNC:(Main Thread):<OPFindKeychainInFileSyncServiceViewController: 0x125f04c20>] E startSearchingForKeychains | Error when requesting paths for keychains: <OPFileSyncServiceError Dropbox (0) Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "(null)" UserInfo={path=/, keyword=.agilekeychain, OPDropboxErrorRetryAfterKey=0}>

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @jonpryor,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having troubles getting everything synced up with Dropbox. I think the easiest way to get this sorted out is for us to take a look at that Diagnostics Report.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

ref: KUB-43558-941

• jonpryor
    jonpryor
    Community Member
    Options

My support ID is: [#KUB-43558-941]

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonpryor

We have your diagnostics report, we'll continue the conversation over email! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.