Changed Password Via Web, 1Password Mac app won't recognize new password but iPhone App Does

renaebair
renaebair
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I cannot login to the 1Password app on my mac anymore after I changed my master password earlier today. I can use the new password to login to the 1Password app successfully in a browser and on my iPad and my iPhone, but it does not let me in on my mac. I have a teams account.

I have tried sudo rm -rf the contents of Lastpass under the Application Support folder. I have deleted the app, re-downloaded and re-installed it, and this still does not work. I thought if I deleted the app and set it up again I'd at least get prompted with a setup screen, but I don't - it always just puts me right into the password / unlock vault screen. And my password simply will not work. I know i'm using the correct password, because as I said, this password logs me in on all my other devices.

Thank you for your help in resolving this very frustrating problem!

Kindly,

Renae

http://cl.ly/34013V093s1V

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: no idea - I have a teams account

Comments

• renaebair
    renaebair
    Community Member

Figured it out - it wasn't obvious to figure out how to completely start over - and really, you'd think deleting everything and re-installing would allow me "start over", but apparently you need to go to Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over and follow the instructions there to start over. This is not really intuitive, but alas, it did solve my problem and allowed me to login with my new password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @renaebair,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you were having some trouble.

We try to make sure that people don't accidentally delete their data (or a bunch of other important files). So we include the feature in the Help menu, so you don't need to enter dangerous commands in Terminal or even open a Finder window.

I'm sorry you found it difficult to locate. For anyone else coming across this thread in the future, it should be the first hit if you search our support site for "start over":

How do I start over with an empty vault?

If there is anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to let us know.

Have a great rest of your week!

• grokkle
    grokkle
    Community Member

Hello
    I changed my master password on my iPhone, and now the neither the old nor the new password works on my Mac laptop. The new password however does work on another Mac computer.

It looks as though I need to restart 1Password on the laptop. However this is running 1Password 4 (on Mac OS 10.9.5), and there is no menu item Help / Troubleshooting / Start Over.

What do I do?

Thanks

• Hi @grokkle ,

I'm sorry you had trouble changing your password. I don't believe version 4 supports syncing master password changes, but the old one should still work. But if it doesn't you can start over using these instructions:

1. Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    2. In the Finder choose Go to Folder… from the Go menu.
    3. Paste in the following text:
      ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/
    4. Trash the Data folder there.
    5. Open 1Password again. This time it will ask where your data is located. Choose iCloud or Dropbox and it will bring down your data.

Regards,
    Kevin

• grokkle
    grokkle
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin, that worked!
    Cheers

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you are quite welcome! :)

Have a marvelous rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.