My password isn't updating on one computer even though it says it is synching with Dropbox.

Options
outtacontext
outtacontext
Community Member

I updated a password on my work computer. Accessing the site works on that computer and it also works on my iPhone. But it doesn't seem to be using the updated password on my home Mac.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Changed password not updating on one computer

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @outtacontext,

Sorry to hear something isn't syncing properly to your home Mac! Just to make sure, have you checked the password field in that Login item on your home Mac to confirm that it's different than the one on your work Mac and iPhone?

If the new password synced from your work Mac to your iPhone, but not to your home Mac, let's start by checking some settings:

On your work Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (Mac)
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On your home Mac:

• Follow the same steps as above.
    • If Dropbox sync is already enabled, compare the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox to the one shown on your work Mac.

If the problem is that your home Mac is pointing to a different sync file than the work Mac, you'll need to disable the sync on your home Mac, then set it up again and choose the correct sync file.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

I have done that with my work computer and it's set to my Dropbox and the only 1password keychain file I have. I will do the same at home. But, I haven't changed anything with Dropbox or even 1password. But I will check.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, we'll look forward to hearing the results! :)

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I have taken screenshots of the 1password synch pane from both my work and my home computer and there is a difference.

First, my work computer:

Now, my home computer:

The work computer (which IS synching properly shows the Dropbox folder as "Dropbox." But the home computer shows the Dropbox folder as "Dropbox (Personal)." I have two Dropbox accounts. One is personal and one is for work. I checked my Dropbox Personal folder and the 1password keychain is there. There is no keychain in my work Dropbox account.

(You would think the home computer is being more specific (using Personal) and that that should be working, but it's the one not working.) Both work and home computers show both Dropbox folder accounts.

So, now what?

• Hi @outtacontext ,

On your home computer, check your work Dropbox folder. Look inside the 1Password folder in the work Dropbox folder. Is there a keychain there? I suspect that there is.

The reason I ask is that your two computers are synching to two different paths. Not just Dropbox vs. Dropbox(Personal) but also notice that your work computer is synched to a keychain file within a 1Password folder inside the Dropbox folder. While your home computer is synching to a keychain file at the top level of your personal Dropbox folder.

I suspect that your work Mac is logged into your work Dropbox account, and your home Mac is synching to the wrong one. Try (on your home computer) turning off Dropbox synch, turn it on again, but this time look in jeff > Dropbox(work) > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain. I don't know if it's named "Dropbox(work)" but I mean the one that is not "Dropbox(Personal)."

I hope that helps. Please give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

Yikes. I see the keychain within the 1Password folder but it's in my Dropbox (Personal) not my work one. There is no keychain file in my work Dropbox. So, how do I merge these? Or what is the next step I should do? I want to make sure my passwords are accessible for both my work and personal Dropbox accounts.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @outtacontext,

I see the keychain within the 1Password folder but it's in my Dropbox (Personal) not my work one. There is no keychain file in my work Dropbox.

Ah, ok - in that case, it sounds like 1Password on your work Mac is syncing via your personal Dropbox account. As Kevin explained, you'll need to disable sync with Dropbox in 1Password on your home Mac, then re-enable it and choose the correct sync file - the only difference is that the correct sync file is in Dropbox (Personal) > 1Password. Just follow these steps:

On your home Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Change the sync from None back to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button, then select Dropbox (Personal) > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain (and click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

If all goes well, the changes you've made on your work Mac should now appear on your home Mac. Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, but what about the changes I made this weekend to my home 1password file?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @outtacontext,

When you choose Merge with Existing it will compare your 1Password data on that Mac with the data stored in Dropbox, and keep the newest copies of all the records. Items that you've updated on your home Mac will be

Changes you've made to items on your home Mac will be copied to Dropbox (and to your work Mac). Likewise, changes you've made to items on your work Mac (and therefore to Dropbox) will be copied to your home Mac. Nothing will be deleted unless you specifically delete it yourself. It essentially does the same thing it normally does when it syncs.

1Password automatically makes local backups of your data, so even if something were to go wrong, you can always restore from the latest backup.

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem! I think that should take care of the problem, but we're here for you if you need more help with that or have other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.