1Password on new mac, opened vault from dropbox but it's empty

Options
jfd0302
jfd0302
Community Member

I installed 1Password on a new mac, then opened my vault from Dropbox, but it's empty. However, I know that vault has my passwords and notes because my old mac shows it as being just fine. Also, 1Password has created two files on Dropbox. One is called 1password.opvault and the other is under a folder called 1password and in that folder is a file called 1password.agilekeychain - I tried both and same result. Why are there two files and which one should I be using, but more importantly, why are the passwords not showing up?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.1 (631005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @jfd0302 ,
    I was browsing the forums and found your post. I can fully understand your confusion. The agilekeychain is an older format and was most likely created inside the 1Password folder on Dropbox by your older Mac. When you set up 1Password on the new Mac, the OPVault was somehow created outside of the 1Password folder. Please check the following:

• On your old Mac, check that you have your data. If so, check 'Preferences/Sync' to see which file it is synchronising with. Most likely the .agilekeychain on Dropbox.)
    • If your date is in sync, go to 'Preferences/Backup' and click 'Backup Now'.
    • If you wish to use the newer (safer) database, drag the OPVault to your 1Password folder and drag the .agilekeychain to your desktop.
    • Go to 'Preferences/sync' and set 'None', then reset to the 1Password folder on Dropbox.
    • Your data should now be available on your old Mac.
    • If this is true — go to your new mac, log in with your master password and go to 'Preferences/Sync'and set 'None'.
    • Now reset 'Sync' to Dropbox. 1Password will now ask for your Dropbox location.
    • Make sure that you are logged in to the correct Dropbox account, if you have more than one.
    • Choose the 1Password folder as the sync location.

Your new Mac should now sync with your Dropbox account and your data should be available to you.
    In this case you may delete the .agilekeychain from the desktop if you moved it there.

Should the above fail, please return here and let the AgileBits team members know exactly what went wrong.

Cheers,
    Rob

• jfd0302
    jfd0302
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rob. Appreciate the input. I feel like 1Password has become less user friendly now. I've made this transition from an old laptop to a new one with 1password using Dropbox for synching and it was simple, I just pointed 1pword on the new lappy to the dropbox folder, it loaded my vault and not a problem. That doesn't work anymore apparently, but it doesn't make sense why.

I'm so frustrated that I am thinking to just give up and switch to Lastpass, but I've already paid for 1password and don't want to buy another software, but 1pword has become totally not user friendly.

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jfd0302 ,
    I understand your frustration, but don't give up on 1Password just yet, it really is the best password manager and it's normally very simple to use. We're making an elementary mistake somewhere.
    Please explain, step by step, what you have tried so far and we'll find the solution.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfd0302: I'm sorry you're having trouble finding your correct vault in Dropbox. Once we establish which one that is, it will probably be a good idea to remove any extras to avoid trouble in the future.

With that in mind, from your description it sounds like you have all of your 1Password data on the old Mac still. Is that correct?

rjh was on the right track here in his first reply,

• On your old Mac, check that you have your data. If so, check 'Preferences/Sync' to see which file it is synchronising with. Most likely the .agilekeychain on Dropbox.)

But so far we're no closer to the answer. Could you check the location of your data in Preferences > Sync on the Mac that has your complete vault? It may be as simple as pointing the new Mac to that same location, but without knowing it we'll just be guessing I'm afraid. Please follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down if there's another problem as well:

Dropbox troubleshooting

Also, be sure to let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on your old Mac, so I can address that more specifically if needed. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.