Rich Icons Question

Options
DCIFRTHS
DCIFRTHS
Community Member

I would still love to see the rich icons database downloaded to my local machine so that I could implement them without having to connect to Agilebits. Any chance of this being implemented?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.1 (631005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Home Network

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@DCIFRTHS: Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's a terrible idea! You'd end up downloading a lot of images you'd never ever want or need! :scream:

What you can do though is add your own custom images to items. That way your vault, essentially, becomes your own private, local rich icon database — with other benefits, of course. ;) :+1:

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

No offense taken :)

How big of a file are we talking about? Maybe it could be offered as a separate download if a user wanted it?

What information is sent if I choose to enable Rich Icons? I think there was an FAQ at one point. I will search for it, but if there isn't one, would you post an answer for me?

To give you a guage of my thought process: I am even "concerned" regarding my use of the iOS version of SplashID. I don't have the skills to sniff what data is transferred from the app, and there is no Little Snitch for iOS... Can you say paranoid (my middle name)? haha

After much research, and the good reputation that agilebits has earned, I took a leap of faith and bought the iOS version of 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

How big of a file are we talking about? Maybe it could be offered as a separate download if a user wanted it?

Individual icons aren't that big, but the entire database (which contains all the images/icons for websites and apps that we've added over the years, each in various sizes) is huge. I honestly don't know the exact size, but it's not something you'd want to host yourself - especially since you would only ever really need a tiny fraction of the images it contains. Not to mention the fact that your own copy of the database would quickly become out of date unless you re-downloaded it all over again each time new images were added. :dizzy:

What information is sent if I choose to enable Rich Icons? I think there was an FAQ at one point. I will search for it, but if there isn't one, would you post an answer for me?

It sounds like you're thinking of this article: What information can be collected with Rich Icons enabled?

You might also be interested in this article, which explains which websites 1Password may try to connect to, and why: Why is 1Password trying to connect to some random website?

I hope those are helpful! :)

Can you say paranoid (my middle name)? haha

I'm glad you're thinking strongly about these things! There's certainly nothing wrong with valuing your privacy & security and wanting to know how those are being protected! You'll find lots of like-minded people here. ;)

You may have already found this on our support site, but in case you haven't (or for others who might be reading this), you can find a list of 1Password knowledgebase articles related to security & privacy here: Security and Privacy

As always, we're here for you if you have more questions or need help! :)

This discussion has been closed.