Changing category names and moving items into different categories.

Options
DCIFRTHS
DCIFRTHS
Community Member

Maybe I am missing something really simple... I hope i am :)

1) I can't find a way to change category names.

2) I can't move item, in a category, to another category.

3) Once an entry is created, I can't change the category to which it was first assigned to. For example: Login to Server.

All of the above makes managing my information very unintuitive. Is there a way that I can accomplish any/all of the above? If so, please link me to an article or provide me with the steps.

Moving to any of the cloud storage version of 1Password is not an acceptable solution for me (not even sure if those version can do it, but they are not options - even if they can do it).

Thank You

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.1 (631005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Home Network

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1) I can't find a way to change category names.
    2) I can't move item, in a category, to another category.
    3) Once an entry is created, I can't change the category to which it was first assigned to. For example: Login to Server.

@DCIFRTHS: #2 and #3 sounds the same to me, so be sure to clarify for me if you can. But for each of these, you're not missing anything. 1Password's categories are static. It is not possible to change an item's category after the fact or modify the templates themselves. Logins are meant to stay logins, etc. You can, however, add custom sections and fields to any item.

All of the above makes managing my information very unintuitive. Is there a way that I can accomplish any/all of the above? If so, please link me to an article or provide me with the steps.

You can actually use Secure Notes for cases where your imagination doesn't fit the "mold" of 1Password's predefined categories. Perhaps someday we'll be able to add customizable categories, but in the mean time I hope this helps. :)

• Don_Noyes
    Don_Noyes
    Community Member
    Options

I have about 60 items I set up all in the Logins category - before realizing that using other categories would be useful in organizing things. I think adding the "change category" functionality would be very useful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Don_Noyes,

Thanks for letting us know that you’re interested in a feature like this! I’ll let our development team know. :)

For now, if you need to change an item’s category, 1Password mini can make it easier to do so:

1. Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) or click the 1Password icon in your menu bar to open 1Password mini
    2. Find the entry you wish to change to a different category
    3. While viewing the item’s details, click the Anchor icon in the bottom corner

Now you have a separate window with those item details and you can easily copy and paste the information into an entry of the appropriate category.

I know it’s not a perfect solution, but I hope it helps!

• Don_Noyes
    Don_Noyes
    Community Member
    Options

Thank. I'll give it a try. Thanks for a great product (and great update notes :chuffed: )

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying 1Password as well as the release notes! We're always glad to help, so please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• cy1password
    cy1password
    Community Member
    Options

I am all for changing categories too. Would like to be able to right click a item and "move to " another category. Although I don't think I need to rename the built-in categories. But customizable categories will be helpful too.

Thanks for the great product!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your kind words, @cy1password! And thanks for letting us know you'd like to see the ability to move items between categories. I've shared your feedback with the team here. :)

Have a great weekend!

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@brenty Sorry for the delay in responding...

Yes. It does certainly sound like #2 and #3 are the same ;) oops

I really would like to see this change. Moving an item form one category to another is important to me. As mentioned, it's extremely frustrating to recreate an entry after realizing it belongs in a different category.

Also, how is "graphical quoting" used on this forum? I can't seem to find it in the comments box when replying.

Thanks!

cc: @Megan @Drew_AG @khad

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DCIFRTHS

Thank you for the clarification, and for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password. While I can't promise anything about whether when or even if that will be added to 1Password you can be sure we always do our best to improve 1Password, so stay around to see any new features! ;)

For quoting here on the forums you can use the key " > " and then paste what you want to quote. For example, the text that I wrote like this:

Is displayed as:

Also, how is "graphical quoting" used on this forum?

If you have any other questions or suggestions about 1Password, we're always here for you :chuffed:

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Pilar

Thanks for the info!

I am not accustomed to this forum software, and didn't do a preview after trying all the options above the comment box. >_<
    In defense of my laziness, I am used to seeing live previews on the forums I frequent.

Thanks again :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries! I'm glad that helped. We can pass on your feedback to the forum software developer. Cheers! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sbarnea,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I'd be happy to let our developers know you'd like to be able to change the names of the categories in 1Password, and also to change/move an item from one category to another. However, I can't make any promises one way or another about if or when we'll add those features. That doesn't mean we'll never add them, but it doesn't necessarily mean we will, either. It's simply not something that's been decided one way or another.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! If you need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.