I Created and Shared a Vault for my Husband. Changes I make are not made in his

Options
gayemacy
gayemacy
Community Member

I thought I could make a new vault, create a shared folder and that was it. However, to make it work, I was told I had to buy a 2nd 1Password license, which I did. That wasn't clear to me.
My primary vault syncs with iCloud. The secondary vault syncs with Dropbox. Changes I make to an item in my vault do not appear in the secondary vault. Why?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar question, and could not find the answer in the manual. How do I choose which items I want to share in a shared vault? Under edit I don't see a way to mark share except email message or communication. I don't see how to Mark and entry to share with a family vault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Need more detailed directions to share a 1password vault via Dropbox..
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Your question is a bit different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

If I understand your question, it sounds like you have multiple vaults, and one of those is a shared vault (i.e. your family vault), and you want to know how to move items from your personal/private vault to the shared/family vault. Is that correct? If so, just open the main 1Password app, select one or more items, then go to the menu option for Item > Share > [vault name] > Move. (You can also do that by right-clicking on one or more items.) We have more information about that in this section of the user guide.

Does that help to answer your question? If I misunderstood or if you need anything else, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

So easy! Don't know how I missed that. Read and re-read about setting up multiple vaults and how to do Dropbox, but couldn't find specifics on sharing only certain info.
    Many thanks! My husband will appreciate it!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @gayemacy! And don't worry, I think this is the kind of thing that can be confusing when you're just getting started with sharing vaults. Hopefully you and your husband are all set now, but if you ever have more questions or need help with 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

1 last thing- this sharing to another vault can only be done from the OS X and not iOS phone, right?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy, that's correct - currently the iOS version of 1Password doesn't have the ability to move an item to a different vault. Hopefully that will be possible at some point in the future! But for now, you'll need to do that from the Mac version. :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Oh good - thanks! I thought I might just not know how to do on iPhone.
    Happy Thanksgiving to the Agilebits Agility Team - answering any and all questions amiability and with alacrity. Score 10+++

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem, glad I could help! As always, please let us know if you have more questions. :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I just had a chance to try this. I selected multiple items, then tried it with single items. I right-clicked, and I used Item-Share menu. Both cases looked right. I got the share, and went down to highlight Eric's vault, then chose share Copy. But it doesn't show up in his Dropbox folder. I opened my dropbox, and he has a folder there. His name shows up in the vault to share to. I put his password in his vault, but it doesn't show up either in dropbox. I deleted previous vaults in order to change the password for him, so this is a new vault. There was nothing in the previous vaults.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

I'm not sure if I completely understand the problem, can you elaborate on a few things?

I selected multiple items, then tried it with single items. I right-clicked, and I used Item-Share menu. Both cases looked right. I got the share, and went down to highlight Eric's vault, then chose share Copy. But it doesn't show up in his Dropbox folder.

So, it sounds like you successfully copied some items from one vault (possibly your Primary vault?) to a secondary vault (i.e. Eric's vault). But I'm not sure what you're looking for in his Dropbox folder? And, do you mean you're looking in the local Dropbox folder on your Mac, within a folder there which you shared with him (or which he shared with you)? What are you expecting to see there? The only thing you should see in Dropbox is a .agilekeychain or .opvault file for each 1Password vault. After you copied items to Eric's vault, did those items show up in that vault on other devices that sync with that vault?

I opened my dropbox, and he has a folder there.

Is that the folder which is shared between your Dropbox account and his Dropbox account? Does it contain a .agilekeychain or .opvault file for Eric's vault? What is the name of that sync file?

His name shows up in the vault to share to.

I'm not sure what you mean about that, can you please be more specific about where you're looking and what you're seeing?

I put his password in his vault, but it doesn't show up either in dropbox.

If you moved or copied items to a vault that you and he share via Dropbox, those items should show up in that vault in 1Password on his devices. Is that working?

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I selected logins, then went to Share, selected Copy, but the items don't appear in his Dropbox vault. It's empty. Tried the manual, but it doesn't seem to cover this....

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

More on this. I deleted 2 previous vaults set up for my husband, as he didn't like the passwords. This is the 3rd vault. In reading the manual, I probably need to install an agilebits keychain for the vault? Is that correct? If so, I can't find that part in the manual in intro or start up chapters...

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I got it! I'm so proud! ; ) I opened Dropbox, opened the 1Password Sync file, and created Eric's vault from there, and it works!! I'm so excited I figured it out on my own. Do I get a badge or something?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

You most definitely deserve a gold star! Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Gold star premature. The dropbox folder I created through 1Password sync does not appear in Dropbox.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy,

Can you help me understand a bit more what you mean? I think a screenshot might help. Please take a screenshot of the Sync preferences for the vault you are trying to share. Here is an example showing a vault called "Demo" that I'm syncing to Dropbox. It shows the path to the location in Dropbox.

Can you confirm that the folder the vault resides in on Dropbox is the one you shared with Eric?

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

This is what mine looks like - I can't get the image to show in the message box...

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know why it shows as a huge https string. Maybe it will show the image once it's sent.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Thanks for the screenshot! (And you're correct - the image appears in your message once you post it.)

So, I see that the secondary vault named "1Password Eric" is set to sync with Dropbox (it shows a small Dropbox icon next to the vault name). Would you be able to take a screenshot of the sync settings for "1Password Eric"? In other words, go back to Preferences > Sync, then click on 1Password Eric on the left side of that window, and you should see a file path for the sync file in Dropbox. It will be helpful for us if you can take a screenshot of that and post it here so we can see how that vault is set up to sync. Thanks in advance - and also thanks for your patience! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

OK - here is the screenshot for 1Password Eric

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @gayemacy! That looks fine, and the sync file for the secondary "1Password Eric" vault is located in Dropbox/1Password Sync/1Password.agilekeychain. If Eric is syncing with that same keychain file from 1Password on his Mac, changes you make in that vault should sync from your Mac to his, and vice versa.

So, you mentioned this problem:

The dropbox folder I created through 1Password sync does not appear in Dropbox.

The sync setup in 1Password on your Mac looks fine, so I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on the problem? Are changes to that vault not syncing between your Mac and Eric's Mac? What folder is not appearing, and where are you looking for that folder? Any details you can give us about what is or isn't working correctly, and the steps you're taking that lead to the problem, the better. Once we understand more about the issue, we should have a better idea of what to do. Thanks! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

When I open Dropbox and go to my folders, 1Password Eric isn't in there.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy,

That is expected. According to the screenshot you posted earlier, there is no folder by that name. If you click into the folder at the top of that screenshot called 1Password Sync you should see the file Eric needs to sync with. Again, according to your earlier screenshot, the file should be called 1Password.agilekeychain.

If he can see that file on his Mac, he should only need to double click it to open it and begin using the same vault.

Here is the path I am looking at that you can use as a reference when trying to locate the file:

I hope that helps. Please let me know. :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I can switch to Eric's vault and everything's there that's supposed to be. It is syncing properly using Dropbox.
    However, I can't find a folder in Dropbox called Eric's vault.
    Here's what I see when I open Dropbox folders:

When I click the folder 1Password Sync, I get this

Then, if I click on that, I get this

None of which appear to be Eric's vault. I even sent a link to him of the 1Password Sync. That wasn't it.

1Password Version: 5.4
    Extension Version: 4.4.4
    OS Version: 10.11.1
    Sync Type: Me - iCloud, Additional vault- Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:Still can't share vault with husband

• Hey @gayemacy! Well that is a bit strange. See how the icon on some of those Dropbox folders has people on it? Those are shared folders. From your screenshots, I don't see one that's associated with 1Password. But if you see his vault, it's definitely somewhere. So let's investigate! :glasses: Launch the 1Password app, unlock it, click 1Password in the menu bar, and click Preferences. From there, switch to the Sync tab and click Eric's vault. Then make a note (or take a screenshot) of the info below "Sync vault with". That's the path to the vault. Feel free to post it here if you'd like.

One other thing I'd like to clarify: Do you have two vaults in 1Password or just one? If you're trying to share the one vault you have with him, it may be that sharing isn't set up yet. But I'll wait for an answer to this before proceeding. :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi PW,
    What's that bottle? You've moved on from Pirate of the Caribbean. I must have missed your reindeer games photo ; )
    Here's what I get when I do Preferences-Sync-Eric's vault

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy: I suspect penderworth's bottle is empty. ;)

And when they say a picture is worth a thousand words, they're not kidding! That solves the mystery! The vault named "1Password Eric" is indeed the file 1Password.agilekeychain in (Dropbox)/1Password Sync/. I hope that helps! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Not really. There is nothing in the folder named 1Password.agilekeychain. I think it might be the sync thing.

Where is the folder 1Password Eric and its contents?

[screenshot removed]

• @gayemacy I removed your screenshot since this is a public forum and it had some private info in it. No need to let that out. :) As for the folder's location, it's exactly where brenty said it was, but I think the confusion is stemming from the fact that your main vault is syncing with iCloud, not Dropbox. That means there's only one 1Password data file in your Dropbox folder, and it's Eric's. A long explanation of sorts, but hopefully that helps clear things up. So sorry for the confusion!

This discussion has been closed.