Multiple Families accounts on one device?

Options
antplant
antplant
Community Member

I'm running 1Password 6 on my Mac with a Families vault - I know I can add another Families account under the same master password, but is there any way to allow multiple users to have vaults on the same device without exposing them to one another (i.e. one device, two separate accounts under different master passwords)?

If not - is there any plan to implement such a feature? It seems a little unintuitive to allow different users to have separate (private) vaults under a Families account but not to let them share a device without exposing their vaults to each other...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tullyhansen
    tullyhansen
    Community Member
    Options

Can't speak to Agile's future plans, but can see where you're coming from – I would guess that you're talking about multiple Families accounts (for different users, with different master passwords) under the same OS X login account (e.g. the account you sign into (automatically or not) when you start up your Mac)? I'm pretty sure that with a separate OS X (sorry, macOS) user account for each 1Password user then multiple individual 1Password Families accounts (where one OS X user maps to one account) would work fine, but this may be overkill for your situation.

(Under the one shared OS X login, I suspect you'd need SeveralPasswords rather than 1Password… :) )

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hello @antplant ,
    If multiple users access the same 1Password app on one device, they will always be able to see the personal account details.
    However, you can set up multiple users on your Mac. This not only solves your problem with 1Password, but would also allow each user to have their own email, browsing history etc. This would allow you the privacy / security that you are looking for.

Hope this helps, but if you have any further questions regarding the safety of 1Password, ask away. Either I or the AgileBits staff will be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

EDIT: I replied at the exact same time as tullyhansen

• tullyhansen
    tullyhansen
    Community Member
    Options

Haha @rjh snap

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@antplant,

Welp. I can't add much to what tullyhansen and rjh already said. :)

We don't normally discuss future plans, but we definitely appreciate you letting us know you would be interested in switching between users directly in the 1Password app. For now, as mentioned, you can accomplish this in 1Password (and every other Mac app, which is a pretty nice bonus) by setting up multiple users on your Mac:

Set up users on your Mac

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

• antplant
    antplant
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the replies - I was hoping to avoid the legwork of having separate system accounts for infrequent users but that might be the only way to go...

I can see how this setup has emerged organically through moving from a single local vault to associating with Families accounts but I do think this feature would be useful... maybe a concept of local profiles each with distinct vaults, accounts etc.?

Maybe something to evaluate, anyway.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback! I can certainly see how something like that would be helpful for you, and I'd be glad to forward your request to our developers (although I can't make any promises about if/when we would add something like that).

We're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.