1Password iOS not support (control cursor with iOS 9 keyboard)

Options
1passwordnotgood
1passwordnotgood
Community Member
edited June 2016 in iOS

Since iOS 9 has the iOS keyboard new function "control the cursor"

But 1Password not support this!

Please fix

1Password Version: 6.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passwordnotgood thanks for contacting us. I want to ask two questions: Are you trying to use the cursor to move around large chunks of text, like in a Secure Note, or to move between fields in an item? And do you have an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus? Force Touch -- which is only supported on those devices at time of writing -- is required for the feature you're talking about.

If you do have a Force Touch enabled device, you can use the cursor control function in 1Password to navigate text, but not to move between fields. I hope that makes sense :)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passwordnotgood there is nothing for us to fix. So far as I'm aware no iPad has Force Touch, which is required for this feature to work. If that changes, 1Password for iOS will support this feature on the iPad, just like it does on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus :)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@1passwordnotgood ah, I see now! Sorry, I forgot that feature was introduced on the iPad, and didn't expect to have so many options for moving a cursor around ;) I've passed this along to our development team so they're aware of the issue :)

ref: OPI-3451

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1passwordnotgood,

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you seeing a different behaviour in the Secure Notes category now? I don’t have an update for you on the feature request that you made, but I’ll be happy to let our developers know that you’d be interested in seeing this!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1passwordnotgood,

Thanks for confirming! I’ll pass that along. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1passwordnotgood,

I understand that this feature is still not working the way you want it to, and I do apologize. I’ve updated the issue in our internal tracker to let our team know where things are at right now, but I can’t make any promises on if/when we’ll be implementing support for this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passwordnotgood: I just wanted to follow up here because I think there's some confusion...and I'm not sure if it's my own or someone else's.

Now, it doesn't help that Apple's "control the cursor" feature itself behaves differently on iPads and iPhones:

iPhone 6S /Plus: 3D Touch force on onscreen keyboard allows the cursor to be moved freely.

iPad (? requires iOS9): Two-finger touch on onscreen keyboard allows the cursor to be moved freely.

It sounds to me like you're saying that you're only able to use this "control the cursor" behaviour in 1Password on your iPad in Secure Notes. Is that the case? I tested this both on my iPhone 6S (3D Touch) and iPad mini 4 (two-finger) and was able to move the cursor freely when editing text in both Secure Notes and other items' Notes. Can you tell me the exact steps to get to the point where you're encountering this problem? I wonder if we may be talking about different things entirely. Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passwordnotgood: I'm not sure I understand. As I mentioned in my last comment,

I tested this both on my iPhone 6S (3D Touch) and iPad mini 4 (two-finger) and was able to move the cursor freely when editing text in both Secure Notes and other items' Notes.

It sounds like you're able to use the cursor in Secure Notes and Logins. Can you please answer this question for me?

Can you tell me the exact steps to get to the point where you're encountering this problem?

If it's simpler, maybe a screenshot would help. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Alternatively, you could record a short video and post a link to it on a sharing site.

If you can give me a clear idea of what I should be looking for, I'm happy to test it. But in my experience so far the cursor works fine, so I really need more information to try to reproduce what you're experiencing. Also, be sure to tell me which iPad model you're using. Thanks in advance!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @1passwordnotgood,

I just tried this on an iPad Air 2:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Open a Login item
    3. Tap edit, and enter the Notes field
    4. Use cursor control

It worked fine for me.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passwordnotgood: Okay, I got it. Sort of. I was able to reproduce the problem you're describing probably 1 out of 10 times on my iPad. Finally. Really weird. I can only imagine that you're just getting "lucky" there more than I am, as I can't make heads or tails of what makes it not work occasionally.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to track something this bizarre down (or if it's even something we can fix, since it's the iOS keyboard), but I've filed a report so we can take a deeper look at what may be causing it. Thank you for bringing this up, and for being persistent and specific so I could see what you mean. :)

ref: OPI-3635

• Ben
    Options

We'll investigate. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.