Idea: 1Password as an iOS keyboard?

devinpitcher
devinpitcher
Community Member

So I had an idea today. I know that 1Password has iOS extension to allow for password entry, but I had an idea today. What if you developed a 3rd party keyboard that would allow us to enter information from 1Password from anywhere that accepts text input? Would the be possible and/or allowed by Apple?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @devinpitcher,

Thanks for taking the time to suggest this. We certainly thought about it when Apple first allowed developers to create custom keyboards a couple years ago.

Unfortunately, it would have very limited utility. Third-party keyboards cannot fill Secure Input fields (i.e. password fields). Only the default iOS keyboard is available when a Secure Input field has focus.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

@khad I've just logged into two sites using my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard to enter the passwords in each ( dbrand and github). Would these have been non-secure input fields?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@tonydow, I would presume they would have to be. Perhaps they are styled as "hidden" text, but they are not using Secure Input fields (a technical term that actually means you get more than just obscured input).

• Err.. No. The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard is a hardware keyboard (Bluetooth), right? We're talking about software keyboards here, not hardware ones. :) Hardware keyboards can be used in Secure Input fields.

Ben

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ha! Good catch, Ben. That would easily explain it. It never even occurred to me that @tonydow might be comparing a proposed 1Password software keyboard to a hardware keyboard. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.