1P Mini and Keyboard Navigation

ShaunG
ShaunG
Community Member

I don't know about anyone else, but Mini always opens in the top right corner when I invoke it with the keyboard shortcut. So this trips me up quite often.

Currently, with 1P Mini, when you open it and want to show more details for a login entry, you have to hit on your keyboard. Even when you know that the entry will be expanding out to the left of the primary window. This is unintuitive. Even less intuitive is the fact that you have to hit to go back to the primary window. See the below annotated screenshot for what I'm talking about.

One way to remedy this issue might be to allow expanding a login entry with either the left or the right arrow keys. If you expand with the left arrow, you would then close with the right arrow. If you expand with the right arrow, you would then close with the left. In this way, however you choose to initiate the navigation process, it will be intuitive to the user for how to go back to the main 1P Mini window.

Thanks for hearing me out! Love the app.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ShaunG,

OS X decides which side of the menu it appears on, based on how much room is on the right. Your idea to determine the close key based on the open key is not a bad idea. I'll pass that on for consideration.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@ShaunG,

Note that this is the same for all the menus in OS X. It is not specific to 1Password.

It's obviously not a direct "fix", but one thing you might consider is getting 1Password mini out of your menu bar. Go to 1Password > Preferences > General, then click to turn off "Show mini app icon in the menu bar".

Since you are a fan of keyboard navigation, I don't think you will have a problem accessing 1Password mini only from via keyboard shortcut. (The default "Show 1Password mini" shortcut is shown in my screenshot above. And you can change Option-Command-Backslash (\) to something else if you prefer.)

Then 1Password mini will open up in the middle of your screen just like Spotlight. You can even drag it around and position it on the left side of your screen if the middle is still too close to the right on your screen.

EDIT: Ha! I just realized that you probably already have "Show mini app icon in the menu bar" turned off. Just click on one of the dividers in 1Password mini and drag it to where you want it.

• ShaunG
    ShaunG
    Community Member

Ahh, moving it to the center of the screen is nice—especially how it snaps to the upper center! My graphic design OCD is satiated. Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response. And you're right, breaking OS-convention on that one does indeed seem like a bad move.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad that resolved things for you. :)

Have a wonderful rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.