Tags with spaces clarification

Options
jhamer
jhamer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Tags editor will separate tags by spaces. To define tags with spaces use system defined list separator (usually ,)

Can I get some clarification on creating tags with spaces? I'm not doing something right. Should I not be able to type, for example, My Tag with no separators? That creates two separate tags of 'My' and 'Tag'. I did try My,Tag based on the separator comment above but I clearly have that wrong too. Need some guidance and perhaps an example of how to enter a tag with spaces please.

1Password Version: 6.0.171d
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10 b 14379
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @jhamer,

Here's how it works:

1. If you want to include spaces in your tag label like school schedule, you need to separate your tags with commas instead of space, like so: tag1,tag 2,tag3,tag 4,school schedule,tag5
    2. If you have no spaces in your tags, you can just separate them out with spaces like this: tag1 tag2 tag3

The comma is required because if you do this: school schedule tag1 tag2 tag3, the system treats school schedule as two separate tags separated with space, not as one.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

Okay, I get that - however, that only works with multiple tags on a single item. How do I enter a single tag of school schedule?

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

@jhamer maybe school schedule, I am not sure either. Hope it works this way :)

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

I agree it should work that way, but doesn't (yet). :chuffed:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jhamer,

Ah, I see what you mean. You cannot do that as the only tag yet, I'll file a bug report. Thanks for clarifying this.

• @jhamer thanks for spotting that issue, it should be fixed with 6.0.172

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

It is working now with the trailing comma, thank you. Hopefully the need for a trailing delimiter is a temporary workaround though. That's way less than intuitive.

I like the tagging feature, BTW. I had not used them before testing this feature, now I'm hooked. :p A more modern approach to the folders concept in 1P4 I suppose. Thank you!

• You're welcome, @jhamer!

We're looking to make the tagging system even more intuitive and your comments are always appreciated.

• MichaelKlose
    MichaelKlose
    Community Member
    Options

Tags with + in the name like Abc+def does not work in the Windows App (6.0.173d). In the Browser and the IOS Apps it works fine.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MichaelKlose, can you tell me more about what isn't working? I've had a look on the web and in 1Password 6, and both apps respond the same way.

• MichaelKlose
    MichaelKlose
    Community Member
    Options

It is possible to add a new entry with Tag Abc+def.
    The tag is shown on the left side in the Tag area. You also see on the left side how often the tag is used.
    But when you click on the tag on the left side the password list is empty.

• @MichaelKlose if you want to have single tag Tag Abc+def please enter Tag Abc+def, in editor (with comma at the end).

By default editor splits tags by spaces, usually they are one words. If there are spaces in the tag, then comma is used as separator.

Hope that helps :)

• MichaelKlose
    MichaelKlose
    Community Member
    Options

That is not the problem the tag is correctly added as one.

1.png 42.8K
    2.png 30.7K
  • Thank you, I've misunderstood the problem at first. It's definitely a bug, I'll go to fix it ;)

• @MichaelKlose please update to the 6.0.175, which should contain fix for the issue. Thank you!

• MichaelKlose
    MichaelKlose
    Community Member
    Options

Works with 6.0.175! Thanks for the quick support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! A big thanks to everyone here for the feedback! :chuffed:

• atygert
    atygert
    Community Member
    Options

This appears to still be broken as of Windows 4.6.1.616, which the application tells me is the latest windows version.

• I'm sorry, @atygert, you're referring to 1Password 4 whereas this is about 1Password 6.
    1Password 4 is our version of 1Password with support for local vaults (.agilekeychain, .opvault).

1Password 4 handles tags differently than 1Password 6. We're sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.