I have a 1password family license. Can I migrate to a Family Account?

Options
lcunning
lcunning
Community Member

I have 1Password 6 for Mac with a Family license. I'd like to migrate to a Family account. Do I need to pay for a new account or can I use the existing license?

thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.1 (631006) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:license

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lcunning,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

1Password Families is a new offering and as such is a separate subscription purchase from existing 1Password licenses. You can see a comparison between 1Password Families and a 1Password standalone license, as well as pricing, here:

Pricing - 1Password

And you can learn about migration from 1Password standalone to 1Password Families here:

How to migrate to a family or team

Thanks!

Ben

• chesterhull
    chesterhull
    Community Member
    Options

The pricing link doesn't help because it doesn't compare 1Password standalone Family license, with the 1Password Families Subscription. Along with the fact that there needs to be a cost-effective advantage to migrate from a current standalone Family license to a 1Password Families subscription. Can you address this please?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @chesterhull,

I'd be happy to help with that.

We no longer sell a family license, which is why there isn't a direct comparison on the pricing page.

The differences between the old style family license and the new 1Password license is that the old style license was valid only for one platform (Mac OR Windows, unless a bundle of both was purchased), and it was valid for up to 5 family members who live within the same household. It was not possible to expand this number beyond 5.

The new 1Password license is valid for one individual on both Mac and Windows.

1Password Families is valid for up to 5 family members. It does not carry the household restriction. The base price includes access for up to 5 family members (others can be added on for $1/mo/ea). 1Password Families is sold separately from any previous offerings, but if you purchased a license within the last 30 days and would like a refund please drop us an email to support+sales@agilebits.com and we'll get that processed. :) And as always if you have specifics you'd like to discuss also feel free to email us.

Thanks!

Ben

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

Remember that you have the option of trying the 1Password Families system for 1 month for free before making a final decision to stick with it, or go back to your existing arrangement. That's what my wife and I did. We used it for 1 month, had no problems with it, and made the switch. Granted, it's a yearly subscription of $48, but when we considered all of the benefits, and the possibility of including other family members in the future to reduce our cost, we felt it was well worth it.

• Jacob
    Options

Good point indeed. :)

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    Options

Since my original post got banished, I will simply make the two points relevant to the OP's question.

1) He was asking if there was an upgrade path from the old 1Password Family license, for which he has already paid, to 1Password Families. There is not. That's disappointing.

2) It seems like the Agilebits attitude is that it's dumb/ridiculous for him to even ask. That's offensive.

This thread reads like, "You don't understand, we can't give you an upgrade discount because the whole point of the cloud service is to make more money."

For a company that once prided itself on upgradeability (and, indeed, on giving out free upgrades), this reflects a complete about-face. It's reasonable to remark on that.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I split your previous post into a separate discussion since it was a separate topic. You've been posting in the other thread, so I know you know it wasn't banished:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66907/1password-4-vs-1password-6-and-1password-families-vs-standalone-license#latest

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    Options

It was banished from this thread. It's quite disappointing how determined you are to play word games rather than address the content of posts, as it implies you cannot do so.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've been addressing your posts and will continue to do so. Let's keep the discussion in one place:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66907/1password-4-vs-1password-6-and-1password-families-vs-standalone-license#latest

This discussion has been closed.