Please make 1password persist in memory

labors
labors
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Android

So, I'm an android user and I constantly use clean all apps from my recent apps screen (otherwise it would be a completely mess of apps) and 1password closes and ask me for my master password. Needless to say what a pain it is as I ALWAYS do this. Also, it render PIN password completely useless.

As others apps have a persist mode (guess by keeping a notification always open) It would be incredible useful if 1password could do the same or something similar. As I gave up using because the pain it was to put my long password 10+ times a day.

Edit: It would be a Great alternative to autofill with keyboard. As my current phone does not have the keyboard change button (zenfone 2 laser) to use 1password I have to:

1- swipe down the notifications drawer
2- click the: change keyboard notification
3- select 1password
4- click choose keyboard button
5- click auto fill button
6- insert my master password (problem stated above)
7- click search (as almost always it does not recognize the app/site to fill)
8- select app
9 - change my keyboard back to swiftkey

With an always on notification (persistent) it would eliminate at least steps 2 - 6 and remove the necessity to change keyboards.

Best regards.

1Password Version: 6.3.3b1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So, I'm an android user and I constantly use clean all apps from my recent apps screen (otherwise it would be a completely mess of apps) and 1password closes and ask me for my master password. Needless to say what a pain it is as I ALWAYS do this. Also, it render PIN password completely useless.

@labors: Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're clearing 1Password yourself. Is that the case? This reminds me of an old "dad joke":

"Doctor, whenever I touch my eyeball, it hurts! What should I do?"

"Stop poking yourself in the eye!"

We can definitely look into ways to make 1Password "more persistent", but keep in mind that it's actually very useful to be able to kill the app completely. Usually I enjoy the convenience of a PIN, but if I'm going to hand my device over to someone else, I'd rather have 1Password require the Master Password, and killing the app is a quick way to do this. So, much like the doctor, I think for now I have to recommend not killing 1Password if you want it to stay in memory! ;)

With an always on notification (persistent) it would eliminate at least steps 2 - 6 and remove the necessity to change keyboards.

Regarding your filling suggestion, that's an interesting idea. We definitely want to improve the workflow there, so thank you for sharing your workflow! We're exploring a number of different options for the future. :)

• labors
    labors
    Community Member

I will try to explain, again, my workflow. As english is not my primary language some meaning was probably lost in my first post.

With usage. android keeps a huge quantity of open apps in recent drawer and my workflow is to click the clean all button everytime I put my phone away instead of closing one by one. By doing so, there wont be a huge quantity of open apps next time I pick it. Sure it close a lot of useless apps. But my password manager is NOT a useless app and I wish to keep that in memory. Others password managers are able to do this using the method I stated above.

So, I will not stop "poking my eyeball" but thank you for your useful allusion.

but keep in mind that it's actually very useful to be able to kill the app completely. Usually I enjoy the convenience of a PIN, but if I'm going to hand my device over to someone else, I'd rather have 1Password require the Master Password, and killing the app is a quick way to do this.

If my four digit PIN is not enough to keep a person that i willingly lend my phone. Then why bother putting it? I will let it always open. As anyone who will have my phone by 10/15 min can break my PIN.

• Thanks for the clarification and suggestion, @labors. 1Password doesn't use much in the way of background resources (except for the accessibility service), so leaving it running shouldn't be too taxing on a device. I'll go ahead and forward your request to our developers for their consideration. :)

Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.