Import all Chrome passwords on Mac? They are NOT stored in Keychain

Options
mac_chrome_user
mac_chrome_user
Community Member

Thank you for a product! I am evaluating 1 Password 4 to see if I like it and, if so, will purchase it.

I have tried several ways previously listed to export Chrome passwords.

Unfortunately, I realized after successfully exporting my Keychain and importing into 1Password that, at least as of Chrome Version 51.0.2704.106 (64-bit), Chrome does NOT store passwords in the Mac Keychain.

The way I know this is simple. Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access. I click on all items, then use the top-right-hand side search feature to search for facebook. I get five entries, but NONE of them match my current password.

On the other hand, in Chrome under Settings -> show advanced settings -> Passwords and forms -> Manage passwords, I can see the two correct passwords for my current facebook accounts.

I realize that the "recommended" method is to use the extension and let it capture all passwords for 2 weeks or so. However, I have a LOT of saved passwords, and don't use most of the saved passwords most of the time.

Is there a way that I can import ALL passwords from Chrome on Mac from Chrome 51.0.2704.106 (or, e.g., directly from passwords.google.com), even if it involves using a potentially insecure 3rd party utility? (I will likely change many of the passwords anyhow to auto-generated ones down the line so I am not super worried about malicious mainstream 3rd party utilities.)

Thank you!

Yours,
Misha

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Wifi/NA
Referrer: forum-search:chrome passwords

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mac_chrome_user ,

How about this.

• mac_chrome_user
    mac_chrome_user
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I had to use a link in one of the comments to get it to work (https://gist.github.com/walalm/ee39e6a2c02f107e2f5e8d7900cf2155#file-googlechromepasswordexport-js) and run it a few times to actually pick up the passwords, but it worked! Thanks so much for your rapid reply.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mac_chrome_user

I'm glad to hear that @MrC was able to help you and that it worked, even if it took a bit of extra work! I hope that you enjoy 1Password, if you have any other questions that we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

• mac_chrome_user
    mac_chrome_user
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar,

Thanks so much for your comment. I had one quick question - I apologize if I incorrectly asked it in this same thread. I have several gmail accounts (see attached). I really like how the iOS app displays the associated username underneath "accounts.google.com" in the main list when selecting an account. Unfortunately, on 1Password mini on 1Password 4 (see screenshot), ONLY "accounts.google.com" is displayed, and NOT the individual username. Is there any way to add display of username below "accounts.google.com" on 1Password mini on 1Password 4 without manually changing the name "accounts.google.com".

In other words, is there a setting so that each option:

accounts.google.com

automatically becomes two lines:

accounts.google.com
    username

Thank you again!

Yours,
    Misha

P.S. I run Mac OS X 10.9.5 on and old MacBook Pro Mid 2010 with an upgraded hard drive. Unfortunately, upgrading to a newer version of OS X (e.g., to run an OS X 10 only 1Password) is not an option as I worry that the computer would become a little too slow for everyday use.

• mac_chrome_user
    mac_chrome_user
    Community Member
    Options

P.P.S. I guess, in theory, I could programmatically change the CSV file I export from Chrome to have the username included in each title before I import it into 1Password, but just wanted to check if there is a simpler option to make the change without re-importing the password database. Thank you!

• Hi @mac_chrome_user ,

In 1Password 6, it will show the username alongside the items with duplicate titles, but that feature was not implemented in version 4. So I don't believe there is a way to do it in version 4.

Regards,
    Kevin

• mac_chrome_user
    mac_chrome_user
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much - I ended up changing most of them manually when I changed the password on the appropriate site.

Thanks again!
    Misha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you were able to get things organized at least. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.