automatic selection of user/password based on subdomain

Options
JoeMurray
JoeMurray
Community Member

If I have sd1.example.com, sd2.example.com, www.example.com, each with their own passwords, then I would expect to be able to have 1password know that it should use the password for sd1 or sd2 when on those subdomains. It seems this feature was discussed back in 2013. I'm on a Mac, and my primary browser is Chrome. I'm using 1Password 6, Version 6.3.1 (631006), and my Chrome extension is v 4.5.7.90. Is there a setting somewhere to make it choose by full domain. Making it choose by specific url is not very convenient, as login blocks are often on various pages on a site, the url to create an account is not the same as the one to login, etc.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:subdomain

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoeMurray,

Thanks for writing in with your question! You'll be happy to know there is definitely a setting for this. In the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar and select the Browsers tab. There's a setting there for 'Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites'.

It sounds like you'll want to make sure that setting is disabled (the box next to it should be empty). When it's disabled, if you go to sd1.example.com and click on the 1Password extension, only Login items specifically for sd1.example.com will show up as a match (Login items with the same domain but a different subdomain will only be shown if you click "Show n more items").

Does that help? In case you're curious, we added this feature way back in early 2014 (I think it was introduced in version 4.2). It was originally called "Lenient URL matching" but that was a bit confusing so we changed the name in one of our updates to version 6 earlier this year.

Please let us know if you have more questions about that or if it doesn't seem to be working as expected. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.