How to disable Safari Device Authorization?

Options
editortom
editortom
Community Member

When I log in to the web app, I see a listing of 'authorized devices'. Currently, that includes my Mac and 'Safari Browser'. I want to disable 'safari browser' as an authorized device. I want to only allow access via the Mac app (or, when I set it up), my iPhone or iPad.

**How do I disable the safari browser as an authorized device? When I'm in the web app, it won't let me select it (because it's the currently active 'device'), but in the desktop app, I can't find the listing of authorized devices. **

I want the functionality I had with previous versions of 1PW, where - to access my passwords - one had to have physical access to my database, as well as the log-in information. Allowing anyone on the web who manages to get my log-in info to access my account seems like a huge security gap.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @editortom

I think there has been some confusion with 1Password Families and how it works. When you see "Safari Browser" authorised for your account, it means that the account is authorised on Safari on that computer only. Not on Safari in general.

About your security concerns, someone would need to get access to your email account, your Account Key and your Master Password in order to be able to access your data. Given that your Account Key is generated locally on your computer, and never sent over the internet, someone would indeed need to have physical access to your authorised device and then also get your Master Password somehow. One of the key facts of 1Password Families is that you're able to access your data on a browser, if you have all the needed things.

You can read more about security in 1Password Families here: https://1password.com/security/

If you want to get into more details than that, let me know and I'll be happy to expand on this topics. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.