PLEASE!! - A better keyboard for Android

Options
duojet
duojet
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Android

I've seen posts about this going back at least a year. The 1password keyboard is critical to autofilling on android, yet it is far behind even the stock keyboard. Over the years, there have been some common sense things added to the stock keyboard that should be present on the 1password keyboard -

1. A number row at the top of the qwerty keyboard
  2. Helpful things like common characters also included on the qwerty keyboard, such as commas, @ symbol
  3. Pop up characters like most other keyboards have (one could argue this is a security issue, but since 1password would autofill password, I don't think it is)

I understand some people may not want these or care, but how hard is this to implement, and at least make it optional?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @duojet. Thanks for the feedback. :)

When we first released the 1Password keyboard, we intended it for filling, and not as a replacement for other keyboards. However, it would be great to have modern features, like a number row at the top and predictive text. This is something we have indeed received other requests for, and I'll certainly add your vote for this as well. ref: OPA-422

Let us know if you need anything else!

• engowen
    engowen
    Community Member
    Options

hi @peri, on google keyboard or etc there is a globe icon to toggle between various keyboard. but for 1Password keyboard there is no such icon, instead 1Password icon, so effectively after I'd switched to 1Password, there isn't a quick way to toggle back to my previous keyboard. The only way to change keyboard is using Settings> Language & input. For the extra steps to switch back to my previous keyboard I won't consider using 1Password Keyboard at all.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @engowen,

What version of Android does your phone run? Android 5.0 (Lollipop) introduced a softkey to switch keyboards that sits to the right of the application switcher button. I've linked to a screenshot below. You can use that softkey to switch back and forth between any installed keyboards, including the 1Password keyboard.

Hope that helps!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EnerJi: Indeed! While it would certainly be more convenient to have everything we need in one place, that's a handy way to quickly switch between keyboard until we're able to improve 1Password's own keyboard. Cheers! :)

• peri
    Options

Hey @engowen. I wanted to jump in on this thread to add that there is indeed a shortcut in the 1Password keyboard. Just long press on the space bar and your input options will pop up so that you can quickly switch back to your preferred keyboard. :)

• engowen
    engowen
    Community Member
    Options

@peri Thanks for the pointer, it works :)

• peri
    Options

Glad to hear it, @engowen!

• BronxHELP
    BronxHELP
    Community Member
    Options

I'm begging you all for a new keyboard. My 1password password is very complicated and the keyboard is so much slower than the normal google keyboard on my nexus 6. Your main competitor has a much quicker method... an updated keyboard or way of filling in the password via android would be the incentive I need to stick with 1password.

• Thanks for your input, @BronxHELP. I will definitely let our team know that you'd like to see more modern features in the 1Password keyboard. We're also going to be looking into other methods of filling in the future as well. Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.