New User

FrequentC
FrequentC
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

A friend of mine swears by your product so after much debate I signed up for your 1Password Families product last night.

First off; The user interface is not very intuitive. I mean... I'm dumped onto the web version and its giving me are a list of tasks on the right hand side that, maybe make sense to you, but to a new user they don't get you to the point where I'm actually entering passwords or anything. Plus I'm a Windows user and it took me a while to figure out the the little [+] icon in the bottom left-ish is where I needed to add things. You should probably point it out to new users .. or ... here's a thought .... just make the button say "add new password etc"

But I digress

Your website AND your browser version BOTH lead me to download this version of the desktop app for Windows:
https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/0cb99692bcdb47abb89fad56dfd56d0c

So I download and install it ... my friend comes over and is a bit confused because it looks and works so much differently than his version but we brush it off as being a Mac/Windows thing

Today I'm at work and want to install the desktop version on my work PC ... but now it seems the website AND your browser version BOTH had me install an old version of the software ... wtf?

So I put the new version of the software on my work PC and now I have NO F**KIN IDEA how to get my passwords into it!!! I can't find a place to export them from the web version, i can't find a way to sync them to the desktop version, there is no phone number for support for me to ask some simple questions and your website is CHOCK FULL of information that is not friendly to a new user

I just want to sync my friggin data and get back to work

OH and if you're wondering why I don't just install version 6.0.175 at work like I did at home ... it's because it your install won't allow me to install the software when your .NET Framework 4.5 or high is installed

HOW DO I SYNC THE STUFF ON MY BROWSER VERSION TO THE APP ON MY DESKTOP!?!?!?

UPDATE: part of the confusion comes from the fact that when you're prompted to update ".Net" the installer links you to version 4.5 and not 4.6.1

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FrequentC,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm really sorry for the confusion.

1Password Families was released after primary development stopped on 1Password 4 for Windows. Support for 1Password Families is only available in 1Password 6 for Windows.

You'll need to install 1Password 6 for Windows. You can use the link you mentioned in your post:

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/0cb99692bcdb47abb89fad56dfd56d0c

That link can be found in our post here:

Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!

There, you'll also find steps to install .NET manually if it doesn't show up in your Windows Updates:

1. Download the .NET installer from Microsoft's website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982
    2. Follow the directions to install.
    3. Restart your PC and install 1Password beta for Windows.

Once you sign in to your account in the app, you should see the same data in the app and on 1Password.com.

Let me know how it goes. We're here to help and will make sure everything is working well for you. :)

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

I eventually got it figured out .... but something you should know is in your installer; the "steps to install .NET manually" take you to an old 4.5 version of .Net: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

So I kept installing the 4.5 version because that's where the link was taking me .... the problem was that your installer requires a newer version than 4.5 so I kept running into the same problems over and over

1password can't continue until you install a new version of .Net
    I download and install .Net
    I re-run the 1password installer and ....
    1password can't continue until you install a new version of .Net
    I download and install .Net
    I re-run the 1password installer and .... I was in a loop

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FrequentC: That's really odd. Thanks for brining it up! For some reason it's installed 4.6 on each of my machines, so I wonder if the page has changed or if there was some prerequisite you were missing on yours.

Actually, now that I look at it, can you tell me where you got that link from? In the 1Password 6 beta announcement thread, the link is this one:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982

It isn't the one you posted. Thanks in advance! :)

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member

Because the IT company at work has Windows updates off the .Net was not upgraded on my work machine. So ... when I went to install 1password 6 I got to a point where I was prompted to install .Net with the only options being something like OK / Cancel .... when you click OK it takes you to the webpage for the 4.5 .Net download. Note: the link I posted above was from me doing a search for it for reference. But the end result is the same page. It did not automatically start to install .Net ... just a link to the site. The the 1Password installer quits.

Soooooooooo.... being an average Joe who has no idea what the latest version of .Net is off the top of his head. I just assume it's linking me to the latest version. That's how I ended up in a loop and eventually went looking on other pages for the "Latest Version" of 1Password which seemed to be version 4 for windows: https://agilebits.com/downloads

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Because the IT company at work has Windows updates off the .Net was not upgraded on my work machine. So ... when I went to install 1password 6 I got to a point where I was prompted to install .Net with the only options being something like OK / Cancel .... when you click OK it takes you to the webpage for the 4.5 .Net download. Note: the link I posted above was from me doing a search for it for reference. But the end result is the same page. It did not automatically start to install .Net ... just a link to the site. The the 1Password installer quits.

@FrequentC: Aha! Thanks for clearing that up for me! That does seem like a bit of a loop you've gotten stuck in.

Soooooooooo.... being an average Joe who has no idea what the latest version of .Net is off the top of his head. I just assume it's linking me to the latest version. That's how I ended up in a loop and eventually went looking on other pages for the "Latest Version" of 1Password which seemed to be version 4 for windows: https://agilebits.com/downloads

That makes sense. I only know that I'm using 4.6 because, like you, I need it to run the 1Password 6 beta. We offer the direct link to the correct .Net installer because it can certainly be confusing. I don't there's anything we can do anything about strange redirects, but we'll see if we can find another solution. Thanks so much for bringing this up!

This discussion has been closed.