Sync in shared vaults does not work

Thomas_Keel
Thomas_Keel
Community Member

After I used 1Password for years at my own, I changed to 1PW-familys. But now the problems are beginning. After a frustrating night, I need your support.
1. Items I put in a shared vault aren't synchronicing with the other members. When my wife puts an item in a shared vault it is synchroniced.
2. the expression "master password" is missleading as it is only a login password. We have now different "master Passwords" on the Iphone, on the mac and in 1Password.com. My wife can't change it on the Iphone as the function is grey shaded.

Thanks for your support.
Thomas

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @Thomas_Keel,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Items I put in a shared vault aren't synchronicing with the other members. When my wife puts an item in a shared vault it is synchroniced.

• Are you referring to the built-in vault called "Shared"? Or did you create another vault that you are trying to use to share items?
    • If you add an item to that vault on your Mac, do you see the item on 1Password.com? And vice versa?

the expression "master password" is missleading as it is only a login password. We have now different "master Passwords" on the Iphone, on the mac and in 1Password.com. My wife can't change it on the Iphone as the function is grey shaded.

This is only the case if you were using 1Password before and had a different Master Password than then one you entered when you signed up on 1Password.com. If you use the same Master Password — your one password — everywhere, then it will be the same everywhere. We can make that happen, though.

Once we get things sorted out where you are seeing your data the same everywhere, you can start over in 1Password on your Mac and iPhone. When you sign in to your 1Password.com when first setting up the apps, you will then use that your 1Password.com Master Password everywhere. Let's get the first part sorted out first, though, before moving on to this.

• Thomas_Keel
    Thomas_Keel
    Community Member

Hi Khad
    I assume that I took the built in vault, as it is the only one which I have to share with all. When I started with the familiyaccount a few months ago, it worked. New items I put in there are not synced.
    An item made on the Mac is neither seen in my 1Password.com nore on my Iphone. An item made on 1Password.com is seen on my Iphone but not on my mac.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_Keel,

If you were using 1Password before, you may still have a Primary vault which is local to your Mac. If you are signed in to your family account in the 1Password app on your Mac, you will also have two vaults in your family account: Personal and Shared.

Is it possible that you are saving the items in your Primary vault? If so, that would explain why you are not seeing them on 1Password.com.

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click the vault switcher in the top left and choose All Vaults if it's not already set to that.

Then, when you select an item, you will be able to see which vault it is stored in.

• Family account: Shared

• Primary

If that's the issue, and you just need to move the item, you can follow the steps here to move it to the correct vault:

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/#to-move-items-in-the-apps

And if you want to change the default vault for saving, from the 1Password menu, choose Preferences. Click the All Vaults icon, then set Vault for Saving to your Personal vault so the items are available on 1Password.com. You can set it to your Shared vault, but that may not be where you want all your items to be saved by default.

If I'm way off base and the items are actually already in your Shared vault, please let me know. We can dig deeper. :)

• Thomas_Keel
    Thomas_Keel
    Community Member

Hi Khad
    You are way off base. The items are already in shared and personal vaults.
    Thomas

• Thomas_Keel
    Thomas_Keel
    Community Member

There is something else strange in the App on the Mac. I cleaned my "primary" vault by moving items to "personal" vault or deleted them. So when I select "all vaults" on the vault switcher it shows me 9 items, exactly those who are in the shared vaults. In my "personal" vault are 190 items it does not show me them. When I set the "vault switch" to "personal" then I see them.
    Thomas

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_Keel,

Is it possible that you disabled your Personal vault in the "Vaults included" section for All Vaults? Make sure to enable it, so the items in it show up when you are viewing All Vaults.

• Thomas_Keel
    Thomas_Keel
    Community Member

Hi khad
    That is as you mentioned. I didn't switch on the "personal" vault. The last topic is ok now.
    For synchronicing with my Mac this has no impact.
    Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of khad, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@brenty @khad Do you recommend that people use the Family accounts and abandon the local 1P accounts? I am finding it difficult to figure out what makes the most sense.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@mlmiles1, if you are asking, I would definitely recommend just using vaults in your family account. It will keep things simple, and you will always have your data when you sign in to the 1Password app on a new device or on 1Password.com. You won't have to worry about setting up any kind of syncing separately. 1Password will handle it all for you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mlmiles1: I'll second that! I only wish that I was able to keep things that simple myself, but as you can imagine I have other responsibilities that demand I hang onto other vaults as well. Cheers! :)

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@khad @brenty I made the shift to using 1password for Families Vaults. So far so good, but the folks on the windows platform are struggling mightily with not being able to generate passwords and fill them. The work around that we have come up with is to open 1password.com in a browser and cut and paste passwords/usernames as necessary. More effort than we would like but we will keep plugging and hope that the Windows updates come soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mlmiles1: Understood. The browser integration is our top priority currently, so we'll get there. It definitely isn't the experience we want it to be yet, and I'm sorry about that. If it helps at all, you can use the password generator within a login item's details in the app. That may at least be quicker than logging into the website. Meanwhile, we're working on something better. Thanks so much for your patience and feedback on this!

• Thomas_Keel
    Thomas_Keel
    Community Member

@khad, @brenty
    I'm back from holliday and ready to go to the open topics as mentined above (16th July):
    1. My 1PW on my Mac does still not synchronice, allthough all items are in "family-vaults".
    2. Changing the Master Password on my wife's Iphone worked now!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

@Thomas_Keel: First of all, I hope you had an awesome vacation! I only wish that things were working for you too, but we'll get there.

It sounds like there's some progress since you were able to change the Master Password on your wife's iPhone, but at this point the best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report for each device where you're having trouble and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: SDT-13777-365

This discussion has been closed.