1Password and Ubuntu

Options

Comments

• Thanks so much @BamaStangGuy! We appreciate you popping in to let us know. :) 1Password.com is a good solution for now.

• IlyaSkorik
    IlyaSkorik
    Community Member
    Options

Dear 1password, you make a great product, and I paid for it. But there no version for Linux I am going to LastPass.

It was a great time with your product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry to see you go, but if you're switching to Linux I understand. Perhaps someday we'll be able to build a native app for you there as well.

• bvansomeren
    bvansomeren
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my 2c's as well. I've been using Mac Mostly and slowly looking towards other solutions. 1Password would be on of the things I'd miss the most. Please consider this another vote for Linux support :-)

• Thank you. Hope Linux works out for you as an alternative to Mac.

• kraynos
    kraynos
    Community Member
    Options

Just my luck. Just discovered 1password family, moved myself and my partner onto it, shortly before our move from Windows 10 to Elementary OS.

I'm a software developer myself, and I'm aware that developing a desktop application with good usability and performance isn't exactly a week long job. If you concern is return of investment, then perhaps do a poll of your existing user base to see how many would be interested in a Linux client, if you haven't done so already?

I know that I'd gladly pay a one time license fee specifically for Linux to cover the costs of development, in addition to my subscription, perhaps others would too? Perhaps crowdfunding would be an option?

I won't have a temper tantrum and swear that I'll move to [insert competitor here], I'll instead try to see how practical just using the web client is for the moment. I will however keep my fingers crossed; I've moved to Linux because of security and privacy concerns, I'd love for 1password to be part of my toolkit.

Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand where you're coming from. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know you'd also like to see a Linux app, @kraynos. :+1:

If you have any question about using 1Password.com, don't hesitate to let us know.

Happy holidays!

• tkegan
    tkegan
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux version, at least the browser extension

• Hi @tkegan - Thank you for adding your support! I will make sure to add your +1 vote for Linux. We really appreciate the feedback and for taking the time to reach out to us :-) Happy New Year!

• corywright
    corywright
    Community Member
    Options

Here's another vote for a Linux client. As a 13+ year MacOS user I'm finally reaching a breaking point and looking to return to using Linux as my primary OS. At this point my dependence on 1Password is the only thing keeping me from making the move. I love 1Password, and would really like to see an offline client available for Ubuntu. I will not sync passwords with any cloud service.

• Hi @corywright - Thank you for the letting us know 1Password support for Linux is important to you :-) I really appreciate the time for sharing your feedback and request. I will definitely make sure to let the team know. Happy New Year and thank you for supporting 1Password ;-)

• hcnelson99
    hcnelson99
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux support. Considering switching to lastpass or enpass. Even if basic 1password app functionality was added to the extension (which right now requires the native app to function) so I could use the extension standalone on Linux, I would be happy.

• klieber
    klieber
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote as well. Many folks (myself included) are becoming disillusioned with OS X and Apple's recent hardware decisions. (and Windows isn't a better option) I remain a steadfast supporter of 1Password and love all the work you guys do...so I'd like to keep using 1Password for password management, even if I decide to move away from OS X.

• bithead
    bithead
    Community Member
    Options

++1 for Linux support!

I have been a very happy, loyal 1Password user for years on the Mac and like others, I am looking to greener pastures (going back to Linux on the desktop). Just some food for thought to AgileBits... with Enpass and Lastpass supporting Linux and other alternative platforms, a Linux client might be something you should seriously look into to stay competitive. There really is a market for it; "if you build it, they will come". There are only a handful of us here on the forum who are passionate enough to speak up. Unfortunately most Linux users simply check to see if there is a Linux client, and if not they move on to other options. Linux users will pay for good software!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For now, it's possible to use 1Password on almost any platform using the web interface, but thanks for letting us know you'd like native support for 1Password on Linux! :)

@hcnelson99: Thanks for letting us know a standalone extension would help in your case, but you should absolutely use whatever works for you. We can't promise that we'll build a brand new app or extension at this stage though.

@klieber: Thank you for the kind words, and letting us know where you're coming from (or going to)!

@bithead: Thanks for mentioning that. Certainly it's something we continue to consider, and it's good to know that there are dedicated folks out there who'd support us if and when we build a Linux app.

Thanks to everyone who's supported us buy spending their hard-earned money on the products we've made. Happy new year! :chuffed:

• nullstream
    nullstream
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password working on Ubuntu 16.04LTS (via wine)+DropBox and the extension in chrome works more often than not.

Initially it was very fiddly to get running and having the agent running in the background can be done.
    Even with a launcher icon locked to the unity dock thingy (extra fiddly but doable).
    I haven't tried firefox since I use chrome but in my experience it works out. I was dreading not having it.

One thing I did notice is you can't use Ctrl+\ on Chrome in Linux for some strange reason but remapping in chrome to Ctrl+Shift+P works.

Either way, definitely not as painful as I expected.
    Providing a blog post, install script, or package would go a long way if not having a native client.

Anyways happy to make my configuration available if there is interest.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have 1Password working on Ubuntu 16.04LTS (via wine)+DropBox and the extension in chrome works more often than not.
    Initially it was very fiddly to get running and having the agent running in the background can be done.

@nullstream: I've had the same experience on some machines. But then again, I've had similar flakiness with other software as well in those cases, so it may just be me. :lol:

Even with a launcher icon locked to the unity dock thingy (extra fiddly but doable).

I haven't tried firefox since I use chrome but in my experience it works out. I was dreading not having it.

One thing I did notice is you can't use Ctrl+\ on Chrome in Linux for some strange reason but remapping in chrome to Ctrl+Shift+P works.

I hadn't thought of or bothered to try changing the keyboard shortcut. That didn't seem to work with my setup though, both because this seems to be a default keyboard keyboard shortcut in Chrome and Firefox (Print and Private Browsing, respectively) and also because I wasn't able to get any other combinations to work either.

Either way, definitely not as painful as I expected.
    Providing a blog post, install script, or package would go a long way if not having a native client.

Running 1Password for Windows anywhere other than Windows isn't supported, so we want to avoid giving the impression that it is with a blog post, install script, or package. But I'm sure that someone here (besides just me) would be interested to hear about your setup. :)

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member
    Options

@nullstream

Cool. Which 1Password version? 4.x ?

• I haven't heard of anyone getting 1Password 6 for Windows up and running with WINE yet. If anyone has managed, I'd love to hear about it.

Rick

• Indeed. It's a bit of a challenge since the latest version of .NET isn't available in WINE. When it is, it may be possible to run 1Password 6.

• AlainGyger
    AlainGyger
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux support. 1Password is a great product, using the web version on all my Ubuntu machines, but would prefer a desktop client.

• Thanks for voicing your support for that, @AlainGyger.

Rick

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

What is stopping your guys from creating a standalone browser extension like LastPass?

Even just basic functionality in the extension (fall back to web client for full access) would solve 99% of your Linux/Chrome OS requests.

Is there a reason you guys do not want to go that route? With the 1password.com vaults, this seems like a pretty easy request, no?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aaronellington: The fact that there are still only 24 hours in a day, mainly. :lol:

But in all seriousness while the idea of having a standalone browser extension is appealing for a variety of reasons, and could be possible with 1Password.com, it isn't something that is easy to do. It's easy to request and wish for — for all of us — but right now we don't have the necessary resources to make that happen.

Additionally, it would also decidedly not benefit folks who don't use 1Password.com, and there's a lot that we need to with the extensions first that will help all 1Password users. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that we'll have a standalone extension someday. But it's still a gamble at this point, as we'd need to essentially start from scratch and build the logic the apps use for filling into the extensions themselves. Here's hoping, but not something that can happen in the short term.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

just another vote for Linux/FreeBSD support.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know this is something you'd like to see, @lrosenman. :)

• ryancammer
    ryancammer
    Community Member
    Options

I just signed up with this forum so I could also put a vote in for a Linux version of 1Password. I've been using Linux for years, and made the switch to Macs a while ago, because it was what all of the cool kids were doing. But then Apple decided to throw everything at the iPhone, because it monetized like crazy, and the MBP became the red-headed stepchild of engineering there. My understanding is that there wasn't even a dedicated team.

Then Apple released the new MBP, aptly dubbed "The Macbook nobody wanted." My coworker just got one, and he's complaining about the keys; I dunno, maybe he presses them too hard. I just bought a new MSI laptop, and while the trackpad isn't as nice as the one on the MBP, it sure feels nice to be back to Ubuntu. On Apple, the hardware may just work, but on Ubuntu, the software just works.

I'm just a single software engineer, and who knows? Maybe the next incarnation of the MBP will take into account the gripes of the technical community, and they'll engineer a new version of the keyboard that has more flight. Apple will most likely come out with a laptop that has an option for 32 gigs of ram, and perhaps they'll even grace the world with the presence of a 4k screen. Maybe even 64 gigs is of RAM is on the horizon, which is surprisingly easy to eat up with a whole coterie of VMs and containers running, and maybe playing a game at the same time. Whatever, ya know?

But I think there will be more refugees from Apple, who stop drinking the Kool Aid. I'd really love for our migration back home to be made easier.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryancammer - Welcome to our forums and thanks for sharing you vote and reasons behind it. I'm glad to hear that being back on Linux makes you happy and it makes sense that a Linux version of 1Password would be useful in that scenario.

I got a new 13 inch MBP when it came out and I'm really happy with it. But that's just me coming from a 2012 MacBook Air.
    I do agree that the keyboard needs some getting used to. Definitely took me a couple of days. :)

• left_to_use_keypass
    Options

To add my 10c, I just switched to keypassx for cross platform support as I can't wait any longer, and I'm not prepared to spend hours trying to get wine or whatever going when I can just migrate instead. agilebits you are far, far, far, behind the 8 ball here. We don't need a gui, we don't really need a browser plugin, all we need is for you to sync the password safe and make it accessible from the terminal, or a simple gui.

• Hi @left_to_use_keypass - Thank you for sharing and we appreciate the feedback. If anything changes in the future, we would love for you to give 1Password another try. I completely understand and I will make sure to pass along your feedback to the team.

All the best and I hope to chat with you again soon. Have a fantastic day :-)

This discussion has been closed.