1Password and Ubuntu

Options

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @danhopkins! :)

Ben

• plouder
    plouder
    Community Member
    Options

Just signed up to this forum to give my vote on a Linux version as well! Really guys, go ahead and bring us this nice piece of software to our preferred OS.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plouder, welcome to the forums and thanks for your feedback! :+1:

• wouter_steenmeijer
    wouter_steenmeijer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, upvoting linux support here.

Here;s a little incentive:
    We want to move from macos to ubuntu at our company.
    1password is blocking this now for 15 users :)

Don't let us wait to long, we might switch to another app ;)

Cheers!

Wouter

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wouter_steenmeijer - welcome to the forums too, and thanks for your feedback as well :chuffed:

• Lesferatu
    Lesferatu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, i also signed up to support the linux development. We also want to switch from mac os to linux at our company. The only piece of software that prevents the endeavor is 1 password. Even a CLI would be much much much much appreciated.

best,
    Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully we'll be able to offer a native app on Linux in the future. :)

• bstaruk
    bstaruk
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Very disappointing that 1Password does not function on Linux.

Will likely be cancelling my plan here and searching for a new password management tool that supports Win/Linux/Mac, which is a shame because I've enjoyed the experience thus far.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @bstaruk

Thanks for the feedback. Just to make sure we're on the same page: you are aware that you can access your 1Password data from Linux using our 1Password.com web interface, yes? :) I know it isn't quite as handy as having a full blown native app, and hopefully that is something we'll have one day, but it may be enough to get you by.

Thanks!

Ben

• bstaruk
    bstaruk
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hey @Ben -- I am aware, but that is not convenient at all and there are password managers on the market which cost less than 1/2 of what I'm paying for 1Password and work on all 3 major operating systems.

I'll be making the switch today, since "hopefully one day" is not a good enough timeline for me to consider waiting for on 1Password linux support.

• Ben
    Options

Fair enough. :) I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you.

Ben

• jamesstidard
    jamesstidard
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for linux support (or at least cross-platform, stand alone browser extension). Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

While we don't have any plans currently to build a new "standalone" browser extension, as that's a huge undertaking both from a development and security perspective, thanks for letting us know you'd like an additional option (apart from the 1Password.com web interface) on Linux. Cheers! :)

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I just want to point out that this has to be one of the most viewed discussions on your forum... 20.4k views. I think the community is trying to tell you something ;)

• Frank
    Options

Hi @aaronellington - It's nice to hear from you! We used to work together at the fruit company a while back (small world) :smile:

Indeed this has been a popular discussion. Like Brenty mentioned previously -

While we don't have any plans currently to build a new "standalone" browser extension, as that's a huge undertaking both from a development and security perspective, thanks for letting us know you'd like an additional option (apart from the 1Password.com web interface) on Linux.

We're a small team so we can only work on so many projects at a time. We appreciate the interest and feedback. We're definitely listening but I don't have a timeline to provide you with at the moment. Have a fantastic day and it was nice to hear from you :+1:

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank I thought you looked familiar. Congrats on landing a job at the best password management company in the world! :)

I fully understand that it would be a big undertaking, but I do feel that it would be worth it as Linux and Chromebooks continue to grow in popularity. Please be our internal advocate for making a standalone browser extension happen!

I am also really excited for the Linux Command Line Tool Beta (maybe I can make my own Linux front-end ;) )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aaronellington: It's good to have Frank around. :)

I was confused by the Linux/Chromebooks comment at first, but it sounds like like you were just referring to the idea of a standalone extension. Not something we're working on, but perhaps we'll have something else to share in the future if all goes well. Cheers! :sunglasses:

• AdamAnon
    AdamAnon
    Community Member
    Options

Add my voice to this. I'm getting increasingly tired of Apple and MS and I'm likely to jump to Linux this year. I'll gladly pay a full price for Linux version of 1Password. native app.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @AdamAnon - I really appreciate feedback. I don't have any news to share with you at the moment but thank you for expressing interest in a Linux version of 1Password. We're definitely are listening :smile: Thank you again for taking the time to let us know this is important to you. :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I can't wait. I been playing around with Ubuntu and even thinking about getting a System 76 computer.

• Frank
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @Prime - I hope all is well on your end. I don't have any news to share about supporting Ubuntu at the moment. There are only so many projects we can take on at a time but I do appreciate the feedback :smile: Their computers definitely look pretty slick :wink:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank I think they look great. I'm playing with a old Toshiba and it's..... old. I had it for years and I was going to buy a refurbished laptop and put it on it, but those System 76's look so nice. And everything will work on it fine.

Other than that, I'm doing good. Still waiting on the answer to my other issues/question ;) How are you? Are you a Ubuntu user too?

• Frank
    Options

@Prime that's great to hear! Sorry no news yet. I don't use Ubuntu but I have looked into it. :wink: It's nice to chat with you again and I'll see you around the other threads :+1: Enjoy the rest of your day.

• mightymax
    mightymax
    Community Member
    Options

I am a very long time 1Password user. I also would like to endorse the request for a native Linux version of 1Password.

I have purchased pretty much all your offerings and versions of 1Password for all available platforms over the years. Except the 1password.com cloud solution. I'm sure a cloud solution is great for the majority of people, but it's just not an option for me from a security point of view.

Linux support would be highly desired. I can see that you hold back with releasing a Linux version as developing for a new platform requires effort, but more so it requires time and effort to maintain and support it. So it's understandable from pure numbers.

BUT, times are changing and Linux market share is picking up, especially amongst your strongest product advocates and power users.

I count myself to one of those long time Mac users (15+ years) that just are getting tired of where the platform is heading. Same goes for Windows. So Linux support of 1Password would be a welcome alternative to switching to KeypassX.

• Frank
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @mightymax - It's great to hear from you and we appreciate the interest :smile: As we mentioned in the thread, it's something we are looking into but I don't have an answer for you at the moment. I hope you understand. When I have an update or news to share, I will definitely make sure to post it here.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. We wouldn't be where we are today without awesome customers like you :wink: Have a fantastic weekend!

• pyro
    pyro
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for linux CLI client.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know that's something you'd like us to support in the future. :)

• +126 people for Linux support (considering migrating my company)

• Frank
    Options

Hi @a_blue_ball_of_yarn - Thank you for expressing interest in using 1Password Teams. At the moment we don't support Linux. I really appreciate the feedback and for letting us know this is important to you. Sorry for not having better answer for you. I will make sure to let our Sales Team know you're interested in using 1Password for your business and if anything changes, we will definitely let you know :smile: Enjoy the rest of your day!

• dfc
    dfc
    Community Member
    Options

First, I wan't to say that you password manager is one of the absolute best around. I tried almost every common password manager until I settled on 1password because I liked it most. That said, I hope you realize that it is a huge commitment for your customers to start using a password manager. The increased security comes at the cost that you don't have your passwords in your head anymore. Therefore, your customers rely on you for their whole internet presence (and more), which is the huge commitment I mentioned before, but it is worth it from a security perspective.

The point of my post is to share my perspective on the current situation. I fully understand that supporting a new platform is neither cheap nor easy, but please keep this perspective in the back of your mind:
    Now, after I became your customer, I have to rely on your service to get anything done. This is why you are basically holding me hostage on Windows or Mac. Your product is security focused, but in the current state of (especially american) politics, the (arguably) best move security and privacy wise is to move to Linux. People that care about privacy and security are fed up with companies like Microsoft and Apple adding backdoors and giving away your data (I mean in general, I trust your encryption). People that care about privacy and security tend to use password managers. There is some irony in the fact that these password managers out of all programs are preventing them from migrating to free software.

Keep up your great work, and please just keep this perspective in the back of your head at the next meeting where stuff like this is discussed.

This discussion has been closed.