1Password and Ubuntu

Options

Comments

• @grevory : we use golang for the 1Password.com servers. The extension itself is javascript and that ports over nicely, but the extension needs to talk to an app that can feed it the data. That's the tricky part.

Rick

• grevory
    grevory
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion So it sounds like you guys have given this some thought. I was think a slim proxy app could do the trick for authenticating but I'll admit my knowledge of security is limited and my knowledge of the inner-workings of your app is nil. Was hoping I proposed an ah-ha idea.

• @grevory : we've given this a lot of thought. I do suspect that if we did something in Linux that we'd end up using golang though. We quite like it. :)

Rick

• mamapitufo
    mamapitufo
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I've been a happy user of 1Password (and Knox too!) for a few years, and I now have a 1Password.com subscription to sync some of my data. I just wanted to leave a "+1" for a Linux client, since I am starting to migrate to that platform. I will use the web app for now, but it would be so much better to have a native client and browser extension, since I am too used to autofilling everything!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mamapitufo: Me too. Hopefully we'll be able to offer that in the future as well.

• cpressland
    cpressland
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for 1Password on Linux. We're rolling out 1Password for Teams internally and our developers using Linux have to use the WebUI, which is a pain.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cpressland: Thanks for the feedback! I think it's a stretch to say it's "a pain", but you're right that the 1Password.com web interface doesn't have the added convenience of the native apps and browser extensions. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Thank goodness for the website. Seems to be a lot of Ubuntu users on this site.

• Frank
    Options

:+1: Got to love the web app!

• niluje
    niluje
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1. I want to switch back to Linux and 1password is the only software which prevents me from doing so.

• Frank
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you @niluje for letting us know this is important to you :wink: Have a great weekend and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

• Pctrl
    Pctrl
    Community Member
    Options

I registered to this forum only to put a +1 to this thread. A Linux 1Password client would make things so much easier for me.
    I'm a long time 1Password standalone user (Mac+iOS), and recently subscribed to a Family account. I am seriously considering migrating all of my digital life to Linux, and the lack of a 1Password client for Linux is right now the only thing that makes me hesitate about doing the complete jump (even considering the 1Password web portal). 1Password is part of many of my workflows (both personal and work-related) and the lack of a dedicated client is for me a big deal.
    Please consider the development of a dedicated Linux client. Thanks!

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Pctrl - Welcome to the forum :smile: It's great to hear from you and your request has been noted. I hope visit again soon :wink: Have a great weekend.

• jsuiker
    jsuiker
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion What is the 'tricky part' of creating a service for the extensions to talk to? Maybe if you give us a list of requirements then we can source some ideas from the community here. For instance, what features do you rely on in the microsoft and apple OSs that need to also be present in a linux environment for the whole thing to be secure?

• @jsuiker : sorry, I probably used the wrong word there. "Tricky" in that case wasn't meant to imply technical barriers. Tricky in this case was meant to imply a sizeable amount of work. I was replying to a comment that was implying that because we use Go for our server we could recompile that code to work on Linux.

Rick

• jsuiker
    jsuiker
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Right, I'm trying to get at what parts are going to take so much work to figure out. We've got projects like https://github.com/georgebrock/1pass where they've put together a basic program to open and crawl the keychain. How much more work would it be to turn it into a service that runs in the background on a linux box that handles requests from the browser extensions?

• @jsuiker : there are also projects like sudolikeaboss that have reverse-engineered the protocol between 1Password and the extension. I saw another project a few weeks ago that also reversed engineered that protocol to provide an extension that could do basic filling based on data in an opvault on Linux via a node.js service. Those are all really cool projects and we're happy to provide them technical details when they need a hand.

Having a real 1Password app on linux is much more than that. It requires coding the required building blocks in order to communicate with 1Password.com. It needs to implement the sync protocol in order to sync data up/down from 1Password.com. It needs to have a server that the 1Password browser extension can connect to and communicate with. It needs a UI in order to show results for the user. We'd need to figure out what the equivalent of codesignature verification looks like on a platform without a central authority. Once you have filling, someone would be very reasonable to want item creation, password generation, etc... It snowballs really quickly.

Right now we're working on other projects. We know that Linux support is important to a lot of people and we're trying to figure out how we could provide a solution that would work for at least some Linux users without having to go through the exercise of rebuilding the full 1Password app again. There's a couple neat ideas, but at this point that's what they are... ideas.

Rick

• ahammond
    ahammond
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for native linux support. Even if it's just the daemon + cli. We're looking at corporate use of this tool and integrating 1password vaults with our devops approach is very exciting. For now, we're going with Hashicorp's Vault to manage secrets, but the UI for that is, well... lacking.

• Frank
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @ahammond :+1: We appreciate the interest! If anything changes, we'll make sure to update you here. Enjoy the rest of your day.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@ahammond: A couple of weeks ago we started private alpha testing of something pretty awesome for both Chrome OS and Linux users that have a 1Password.com account.

This isn't going to be for everyone (at least not yet), but if you (or others) love being on the bleeding edge, please email us at linux@1password.com with your forum username as well as the email you are using with your 1Password.com account and we'll invite you to the private alpha.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• samgabbay
    samgabbay
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent you guys an email awaiting for a private beta invite.

• Frank
    Options

Fantastic @samgabbay :smile: I appreciate the heads up! @Beyer will get back to you shortly. :+1:

• red_rock
    red_rock
    Community Member
    Options

That's great news!

• Ben
    Options

Yes indeed! I've been using it on one of my Ubuntu VMs and it is super handy. Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• erfanio
    erfanio
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

This is super exciting. :) :)
    Any plans for a firefox release?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@erfanio: Nothing to announce currently. We already have a Firefox extension that works with the apps, and we're focused on Chrome now because that will work on both Linux and ChromeOS, where Firefox obviously isn't available on the latter. ;)

• icole
    icole
    Community Member
    Options

This is fantastic! Thank you for this work! I am sending an email now.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@icole: Awesome! We have a little backlog of requests, but I'll make sure to get you a response today.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• bernieman
    bernieman
    Community Member
    Options

A private alpha for a Linux client? The dream! It's happening. I have sent @Beyer an email.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. We'll get back to you there soon! :)

This discussion has been closed.