1P v6: I keep getting notice: "Backup Failed: 1Password failed to create a backup: Error Domain=NSCo

Options
fmanji
fmanji
Community Member

1P v6: I keep getting notice: "Backup Failed: 1Password failed to create a backup: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain... (can't read more than that

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:backup failure

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fmanji,

I'm sorry you keep getting that error about 1Password backups!

You may be able to solve this by simply restarting 1Password mini. From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

Once you do that, unlock 1Password and go to File > Backup. Does that seem to work now, or do you get another error message? Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• fmanji
    fmanji
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that quick response. It worked, although I couldn't open 1Password as it failed to recognise my password. I then had to retrieve data from the sync location. Once I did that, it worked, and I managed to use Backup Now. Let's see if the automatic backup works as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fmanji,

That's very strange that it wouldn't accept your master password after restarting 1Password mini - all that does it restart the mini app and has nothing to do with your data. But I'm glad you were able to get things back to normal and that backups seem to be working now. Of course, if you run into either of those problems again, please let us know and we'll be happy to take a further look at things. Cheers! :)

• harmon
    harmon
    Community Member
    Options

I had the exact same experience (that is, I could have written the posts) that fmanji had, with the same results.

I note, however, that I seem to have lost 9 items in the process, since my iPhone version claims that I have 489 items, but my iMac says only 480.

Exactly the same thing happened to me - including the password failure.

One thing fmanji didn't mention is that there were two 1P backup selections when I restarted, one for iCloud & one for .

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @harmon,

I'm sorry to hear you also had some trouble with that! If you needed to restore from a backup, it sounds like perhaps that backup did not include those 9 items. But luckily you have those on your iPhone. You should be able to easily sync them from the iPhone to your Mac again, but before doing that, you should backup your data as a precaution. On your Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup. On your iPhone, you can create a backup file and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: 1Password backups

Once you've done that, open 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync. You'll need to enable the same sync option you use to sync that vault on your iPhone (it sounds like iCloud, or perhaps Dropbox). Once you do that and merge the data, you should have everything in 1Password on your Mac again.

But if you run into any problems with that, please let us know!

• DavidABQ
    DavidABQ
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting the same results. So I quit Mini as instructed above; unlocked 1Password and went to File>Backup. Continue to get:
    Backup Failed
    1Password failed to create backup:
    Error Domain=NSCocoaError Domain Code=512
    followed by a long string of alpha numeric characters
    This has happened several times today and numerous times over the past month or so.
    Looking at the log file I can see:

9/11/16 4:47:07.582 PM 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[824]: 650016 [BACKUP:(Secondary Thread 0x7fa1b4d2e080):] E backupDatabase:withCompletion: | Backup failed: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "“2FE1C1197BE14C50A206B72D55D86130__289099B4D15A4621BF067FA2331C60DE.blob2” couldn’t be copied to “1Password 2016-09-11 16_46_55”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Users/David/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/2FE1C1197BE14C50A206B72D55D86130__289099B4D15A4621BF067FA2331C60DE.blob2, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Copy
    ), NSDestinationFilePath=/Users/David/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/1Password 2016-09-11 16_46_55/2FE1C1197BE14C50A206B72D55D86130__289099B4D15A4621BF067FA2331C60DE.blob2, NSFilePath=/Users/David/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/2FE1C1197BE14C50A206B72D55D86130__289099B4D15A4621BF067FA2331C60DE.blob2, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fa1b4b134f0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=5 "Input/output error"}}

Any suggestions?

• DavidABQ
    DavidABQ
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry forgot to say:
    macOS 10.11.6
    1Password version 6.5.BETA-16
    Sync Type Dropbox .opvault

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidABQ,

That error does look troublesome and we'll need to get more details before suggesting how you can fix it. To start, please use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostics report as soon as possible:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Then attach the report file with an email to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forum, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email.

You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a support ticket ID. Please post that ticket ID here so we can track down your email with the report more quickly and help you get this issue resolved.

If possible, it would be best to hold off making any further changes to your 1Password data until we've seen the report and followed up with you in email. This error can be a sign of data integrity issues, possibly with the hard drive:

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=5 "Input/output error"

From your second post:

Sync Type Dropbox .opvault

I also recommend making a backup copy of 1Password data in that OPVault (and any others you're syncing with) to a different location that's not on the same drive where it currently is, e.g. to a USB thumb drive.

You'll want to minimize risk of losing or damaging any of your 1Password data while we take a closer look at the current state of your system. We'll be waiting for your email with the diagnostics and hopefully this turns out to be nothing too serious. Thanks!

• DavidABQ
    DavidABQ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

I followed your instructions and sent the e-mail to support. The support ID is [#GYB-12428-127].
    I will hold off making any further changes to the 1Password data file. I do have the 1Password data file backed up in numerous locations separate from the system drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got your email and diagnostics, @DavidABQ.

What I've found so far looks like it's only this one attachment data file causing the error:

2FE1C1197BE14C50A206B72D55D86130__289099B4D15A4621BF067FA2331C60DE.blob2

I'll send you email with more details. Thanks for your quick follow-up here.

ref: GYB-12428-127

This discussion has been closed.