Why can't I hit return to open a 1P entry in Safari and enter the login/password combo?

Options
odysseus
odysseus
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

Let's say I'm searching for a login entry in the 1P app (not 1P mini). I type the first few letters in the search field until it appears. I hit tab so that it is highlighted. Now I want to open it. Shouldn't I be able to hit return in order to do this? I confess that I don't really use 1P mini.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Thanks for your question & feedback! Don't worry, you aren't doing anything wrong - in the main 1Password app, the return/enter key simply doesn't open a Login item in your browser. On the other hand, double-clicking a Login item (or clicking the URL in a Login item's details) will open it in your browser. I can certainly let our developers know you'd like to be able to do that by hitting 'return' on your keyboard (although I can make a any promises about if/when that will happen).

For now, I think 1Password mini can help make this a non-issue for you. Just use the ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+Backslash ) keyboard shortcut from any app to open mini, and then you can do exactly what you'd like to be able to do in the main app (i.e. unlock with your master password if necessary, type the first few letters to find the Login item, and hit return to open it).

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

The question I'd like to ask is: why doesn't (or why can't) the return/enter key open a login item in my browser?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus

As Drew explained before, 1Password is simply designed differently, and that's not a functionality aspect it supports. As to why, while designing software there are endless possibilities, and we try to come up with the best one, or the one that will make sense to most. We'll let our developers know that you think this should be an option :chuffed:

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

In general, consistency is a good thing :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Agreed! :lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.