How to use 1Password to change your eBay password

PopularPorcupine
PopularPorcupine
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

Hi! I'm unable to update my ebay.com password using 1Password (6.3.1) using Safari (9.1.2) or Chrome (52.0.2743) using macOS 10.11.6.

Here are the symptoms:
1) The change-your-password page at ebay.com seems to disable copy and paste (using the keyboard combinations, menu option, and right-click menu).
2) I can successfully use 1Password to log into ebay.com.
3) I can successfully use 1Password to access ebay.com's change-your-password page. (The change-your-password page makes you basically just log into ebay.com again)
4) Ebay's change-your-password page has a field for my current password and two fields for the proposed new password. When I use 1Password's browser extension to provide my current password, it fills in my current password into the first "New Password" field and not the "Current Password" field.
5) When I use 1Password's browser extension to create a new password, it fills in the newly-generated password into all three password fields.

Since copy and paste are disabled, it's really not easy to update the password, and ebay allows password up to 64 characters.

Does anybody know a workaround?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PopularPorcupine,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. eBay does make it more difficult than it needs to be. Here's how I just changed my eBay password:

1. Visit the "Change your password" page: https://reg.ebay.com/reg/ChangePwd
    2. Sign in. (I like to use the Command-Backslash (\) keyboard shortcut.)
    3. Edit your existing eBay Login item, so you can select the entire password.
    4. Drag the password into the "Current password" field. Dragging and dropping text is a handy workaround for many websites and apps that misguidedly attempt to block pasting.

5. Use the password generator to fill a new password. Only the two fields that are empty will be filled in.

Then you can submit the form and 1Password will detect the change and ask you to update your Login with the new password. :)

Let me know how it goes!

• PopularPorcupine
    PopularPorcupine
    Community Member

khad - You're amazing. Thank you very much for your time and assistance with this!

Your recommendation ultimately failed, I suppose because I accidentally caused 1Password to regenerate the password which caused it to lose the original password, which it didn't retain in its "show previous used passwords" history, and I hadn't yet dragged-and-dropped my "current" password yet.

So, I needed to reset my password. When I got to ebay's reset password page, even the drag-and-drop trick failed.

I ended up typing the sixty-something character password by hand. It's not a big deal. Just a caution for future people who are as stupid as I am.

BUT - your drag-and-drop password trick did work on the page you specified...so future people have hope!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Sorry you had to go through all that, @PopularPorcupine. But… phew! I'm glad it all worked out in the end. :)

Have a marvelous weekend! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.