Clicking Mac Chrome extension starts then quits 1Password

Options
tomeg
tomeg
Community Member

...and Chrome doesn't acknowledge the 1Password app has been found. Instead, it always says "Try Again." I have removed then reinstalled the Chrome Browser 1P Extension, but no difference, still the extension doesn't work, and 1Password doesn't prompt me to save passwords when I enter them, nor does it offer to fill in a password.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tomeg: Did this just start happening after you updated to 10.11.6? When I saw your post at first I thought it was a typo. I didn't realize that the update had hit already. Which version of Chrome are you using? Make sure that you complete any updates it has pending. Let me know what you find, and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue here. Thanks in advance! :)

• tomeg
    tomeg
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Chrome is v. 52.0.2743.82 (64-bit). The issue has been since 10.11.5 I think

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tomeg: Well, I'm still on 10.11.5 until this backup completes tonight (better safe than sorry) and I'm not able to reproduce this here so far. Do you have "security" software or other extensions installed that may be interfering? Try disabling those temporarily, restart your Mac, and let me know what you find.

• tomeg
    tomeg
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

All security software and extensions off. Problem persists, cannot enter any passwords other than manually (i.e., no 1Password facility). I am considering dumping all my saved passwords and deleting 1Password app and all support files, then re-installing.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tomeg,

Sorry to hear disabling the security software/extensions didn't help. You don't need to delete the 1Password app, your data, and any associated files - in fact, I recommend not doing that. If you want to, you can delete just the main 1Password app from the Applications folder, but make sure not to delete your data or other files (and don't use any app cleaning tools to delete it). Delete only the 1Password app. If you do that, then download a fresh copy and see if it makes any difference.

If that doesn't help, please open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences. Select the General tab, and make sure there's a check mark next to the option for Always keep 1Password mini running. If that's already enabled, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After it restarts, try again to use the browser extension. If the main 1Password app is already open when you try the extension, does it work?

• tomeg
    tomeg
    Community Member
    Options

Tried the above suggestions: 1) Always keep 1Password mini running was already checked; 2) Help/Troubleshooting/Restart 1Password mini tried. Even with 1Password App Open, mini still doesn't work, tries to restart again and again. Strangely, once every x number of times I retry to activate 1Password Extension in Chrome, I get a Welcome to 1Password Extension tab, however, when I click the extension in the browser, it fails to start all over again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tomeg,

Thanks for trying that. If you haven't already done so, please try rebooting your Mac and then see if the 1Password extension works. Then, if it still can't connect, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• tomeg
    tomeg
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic report downloaded, run, and report sent in email with attached diagnostic. Looking forward to your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @tomeg! I was able to find your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Hopefully we'll have this sorted out soon! :)

ref: PDK-32147-386

This discussion has been closed.