Can 1Password generate non time-based two factor password?

Options
kezers
kezers
Community Member

As title, I have a web service that require a non time-based password. Google Authenticator does it, your app apparently don't. What I can do?

1Password Version: last
Extension Version: last
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can 1Password generate non time-based two factor password?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kezers,

Thanks for writing in with your question! I'm not sure if I completely understand what type of password you're asking about. Is it a one-time password that is based on something other than time? Or are you just trying to generate a random password? If you just need to generate a random password, 1Password can certainly do that.

Or if that web service uses a one-time password which is not time-based, I don't think you'll be able to use 1Password for that. The "One-Time Password" feature in 1Password is really a "TOTP" or "time-based one-time password" feature. If you need one-time passwords based on something else, you'll need to use a different app or service for that.

If I misunderstood your question, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• kezers
    kezers
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew! Thank you for your reply. The problem is that "Google Authenticator" app is generally considered a standard for OTP passwords. Google Authenticator can generate random password based on a qr-code that don't expire after some time if you didn't use it, and also a time-based password like 1Password do. In this case the web service I'm using requires an OTP not time-based. I think it would be great because it would be compatible to Google Authenticator. In my opinion it is a must. Regards.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kezers,

Thanks for the clarification! The only type of one-time passwords supported by 1Password at this time are the time-based kind - so if you need to use another kind of one-time password for a web service, you'll need to keep using Google Authenticator for that.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you! I'd be glad to let our developers know you're interested in having that feature in 1Password, although I can't make any promises as to if/when we might add something like that. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.