Windows 10 - 1Password Won't Allow Adding Items [Local vaults are read-only in 1Password 6 Beta]

Options
rckingsley
rckingsley
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 1Password 4 running on Windows 10, using Dropbox to sync. On a different computer, I installed the Windows 10 version of 1Password (from the Microsoft store), then opened the Dropbox file. 1Password opens, and it shows the items in the vault.

However, it won't allow me to add any items (the '+ Add' symbol is greyed out).

As a test, wiped out all of the files, uninstalled 1Password for Windows 10, then installed 1Password 4, and created a vault with one password. I then uninstalled 1Password 4, reinstalled 1Password for Windows 10, and opened that file I created. Same problem - can't add any items.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rckingsley: Correct. You cannot edit local vaults in the beta.

The 1Password for Windows version 6 beta is being developed for 1Password Teams/Families since 1Password 4 does not support those. It has read-only support for local vaults, like the one you're syncing with Dropbox. We'll be adding full support for those in the future, but you'll need to stick with 1Password 4 if you want to be able to edit and use the rest of its features. It works great on Windows 10 as well, so you have can have the same experience on all of your PCs.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rckingsley
    rckingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, brenty. I'll tell all my Windows 10 clients to either go with 1Password 4 (cruddy user interface) or wait until 1Password 6 is no longer in beta and has the features they want. Since most of them would use Windows to manage the majority of their vault items, even if they chose 1Password Families, it would still be a pain for them to use it. I do appreciate it!

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @rckingsley,

That sounds like a good idea, Windows-only/mostly folks probably should be advised to wait for the first stable update and/or later when 1Password 6 for Windows has all features they need.

Our first stable update is coming next month but it won't contain all of the features yet. We will be shipping a lot of updates from there on to implement the rest of the features.

• shayaan
    shayaan
    Community Member
    Options

Any update to this since July?

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @shayaan,

Thanks for writing in. If you're referring to the full local vault support in 1Password 6, it's not available yet. Each 1Password 6 update we've released include the little pieces that we need to complete the support. We're getting there but no timeframe yet.

You can see the progress we're making on 1Password 6 here.

• chouchou
    chouchou
    Community Member
    Options

From July 2016 to now (May 2017) 1Password 6 still not support add item to local file. So it really have plan to add this basic function to 1Password 6?

• Hi @chouchou,

At present we are not working on adding write support for local vaults to 1Password 6. If you rely on local vaults, 1Password 4 is what you need.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Cheers,

Alex

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member
    Options

Important: Due to upcoming external API changes, we are retiring 3rd party sync options (Dropbox & OneDrive), and simplifying the migration by reworking the import process to handle this step. If you have vaults opened via Dropbox or OneDrive, they will automatically be converted to local folders.

Woah. this is in direct contradiction with what the staff told me like 3 weeks ago (TL;DR = writing is coming in dropbox). I respect your decision but let me tell you that you handled the communication around it pretty badly. That's it for us on geekzone.fr, we'll stop recommending your software then, since you just killed one of the best weapon you had vs. others services...

• Hey @Cafeine,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm sorry but where did you get this information?
    If someone told you something wrong, we apologise.

Cheers,

Alex

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @AlexHoffmann : it was on this very forum but let's say the search is not very very good here. I'm pretty sure it was in a conversation with @brenty in one of the many threads about 1P4 / 1P6 problems on Windows. But whatever, the real question here is: are you planning to phase out dropbox support for every clients (seems so). And if the answer is no, how can we be sure of it considering the latest evolution of 1P6 Windows?

PS : yes I'll search for that thread, but I'm pretty sure it was said many times. Even on twitter. The stance about webservice only is pretty new...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @AlexHoffmann : it was on this very forum but let's say the search is not very very good here. I'm pretty sure it was in a conversation with @brenty in one of the many threads about 1P4 / 1P6 problems on Windows.

@Cafeine: Wait, what did I say? I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but at this point I'm not even sure what you're referencing. I agree that the search isn't great, but there's always Google!

But whatever, the real question here is: are you planning to phase out dropbox support for every clients (seems so).

Nope. Testing this just today in 1Password for iOS:

We have no plans to remove Dropbox (or any other sync option) from any of our apps.

And if the answer is no, how can we be sure of it considering the latest evolution of 1P6 Windows?

However, as mentioned by Alex (and probably myself as well), what we're not doing right now is working on adding Dropbox support into the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. We've got much bigger things we need to finish that will benefit more users.

PS : yes I'll search for that thread, but I'm pretty sure it was said many times. Even on twitter. The stance about webservice only is pretty new...

If you can clarify what "stance" you're referring to exactly, I'm sure we can clear things up. Cheers! :)

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member
    Options

I guess your old customers don't understand why they are forced to use 1P4 under windows then. I sure don't. Dropbox sync is everywhere BUT on this one after all... Well, let's wait MORE. :/

Stance = You push the webservice 110% everywhere (website, etc.) and your CM on Twitter is pretty hardcore about it. That's what sparked the fear that dropbox sync was dead (and then, the rage :P) + some posts in this forum.

Well, I can't read your mind so we'll have to wait & see but be aware that some ppl can't stand 1P4 and are jumping to other solutions because of that.

:|

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cafeine: No one is being forced, but no one is entitled to use something they haven't paid for.

But yeah, we're definitely marketing 1Password.com memberships. We were marketing both that and licenses for the first year of 1Password.com, and it caused unbelievable amounts of confusion and frustration for people. For the vast majority, 1Password.com memberships are better. Period. You may feel that they aren't a good fit for you, and that's totally your call. But most people don't want to have to fiddle with sync settings, devise backup strategies, or figure out which licenses they need; they just want to have their data secure and available to them when they need it.

Dropbox sync isn't dead, but it's not our focus, as we already have support for that on all platforms; and most people don't want to deal with that, even if it's indispensable for you and I. ;)

• Andi112
    Andi112
    Community Member
    Options

I have a family account since several months. According to this thread (and several others) an my personal experience it is still impossible to local vaults on windows (10) with 1P6. Since there are some suggestions to use 1P4 instead I tried this method. But I have to type in a license. Where can I find the license that works with 1P4 on Windows?

Thanks
    Andi

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

@Andi112: 1Password 4 is no longer being sold, as it is no longer being actively developed because we're focused on muddling the new app. 1Password 4 does cannot work with 1Password.com accounts, so it's best to use 1Password 6 if you're a 1Password Families member. But I'll shoot you an email in a moment in case your setup is more complex for some reason.

ref: SFD-18146-119

This discussion has been closed.