Changing account key / master password for Families

bgs264
bgs264
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Families

Apologies - This relates to Families, not Teams - I cannot change the board I've posted in though.

Hello

I have my Account Key and my Master Password for my account.
However, what if I want to change them?

I have lost my Emergency Kit and so in theory I've compromised my account.

Looking through the forums all I can see is a way to do this with Mac or iOS.
I have neither - I use the web, Windows and Android.

If it cannot be done then I need to get my account securely deleted so that the passwords within aren't compromised.

In the meantime, I will now have to go and change my password on all the services I've saved and not store them in 1password, what a shame.

Thanks
Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bgs264

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your Emergency Kit, and that it wasn't easier for you to find the information on how to change it online. You can definitely change it on the web interface if you have access to it. Just log into your account on your browser and go to your family name in the upper right corner and click on My Profile. There you'll be able to click on Change Master Password in sign in details. You can generate a new Emergency Kit there too. You only need to click on the blue circle with a pencil by the side of your current Account Key.

Please let us know how this goes for you and if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• bgs264
    bgs264
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar

Thank you for your reply. I must admit I didn't look around the web application - I was more using Google to try and find out how to do it - and mostly it brings back threads saying you can only do it with iOS and Mac - Not the web or Android.

I guess this feature got launched but I didn't go looking for it, just believing it to be not possible.

Thanks so much anyhow, Master Password changed!

Cheers,
    Ben

• bgs264
    bgs264
    Community Member

Hi again @Pilar

What's interesting to me is that the Android app failed instantly when I tried to open it after changing my Master Password - exactly what I wanted it to do.

However the Windows app doesn't - looking in the logs, it shows failed attempts to hit your API which resolve themselves when I sign out and back in again.

However until I did that I could see everything it had previously sync'ed and access all those passwords.

It would be good to see it do the same thing - fail the authorization and then stop me accessing all those passwords in my vault until I've provided the right password.

Could you pass it along?

Thanks

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bgs264

I'm glad to hear that you were able to change your Master Password and Account Key. I'm sorry the documentation wasn't easier to find, we're working on improving this.

If I understand correctly, 1Password was unlocked on your Windows machine and it didn't locked itself out when the Master Password changed, is this what you mean? If this is the case, then I'll be happy to pass your comment along about what you would like to see in 1Password!

If there's anything else that we can help you with, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.