Auto Fill Suddenly Stopped Working

squareone21
squareone21
Community Member

I am beyond frustrated. Autofill suddenly stopped working. Double-clicking the login takes me to the web page, but the fields remain blank. Now I have to type all usernames and passwords in manually. As per your instructions in the support article, I have tried re-installing the Safari extension, thinking perhaps that may help, but it keeps giving me an error message and says it can't be installed. When I first opened the Safari extensions I saw the 1 Password extension, but once I tried to update or reinstall it, it has now disappeared from my extensions list. I have rebooted my computer. Should I uninstall the One Password app and then reinstall it? I am out of options over here.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: it disappeared
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member

Hi @squareone21,

I am sorry you have gotten stuck without your 1PW functionality. Now that I depend on it, I wouldn't want to do without it either. May I ask you a few questions to see if we can discover what is at issue?

You no longer have the extension installed in Safari, is that correct?
    I understand that you tried re-instalIing the Safari extension and have been stopped with an error message.

Can you upgrade your operating system to the most current version?
    I see you are at OS X version 10.10.5. I am running 10.11.6 and I wondering if there is an incompatibility between the latest 1PW browser extension that you attempted to install and the version of Safari you are running? (I am running 9.1.2).

It doesn't seem like you would need to uninstall the main 1PW app as you suggest for a last resort.
    Can you get back to the error message to see if it gives a clue as to whether the problem is between the extension and the app or whether it is contained with the Safari ecosystem?
    Another way to determine that would be to try to copy and paste usernames and passwords from the main 1PW app or 1PW mini in the top bar of the computer. I know this is not an acceptable solution, but I am asking in order to understand the nature of problem better.

Last, can you think of anything else that changed between the time the extension last worked and when it didn't?

If you can give me / us a few more details I think we can surely get you sorted out and going again.
    Margeau

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @squareone21

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password, I hope that we can get it sorted out in no time! The questions that margeau asked you will really help us understand this issue better! On addition to them, and so we can get the most complete picture of the problem and understand what's going on, could you please see if everything works well on some other browser, like Chrome for example?

When we hear back from you we'll be able to get to the bottom of this and have 1Password up and running again for you soon! :chuffed:

• squareone21
    squareone21
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for the comments. I haven't replied to margeau because i don't have time to update my OS right now! I'd like to check it on another browser, but when I click on the login it automatically opens Safari. How can I switch it to Firefox or Chrome?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @squareone21,

When you double-click a Login item in the main 1Password app (or click on the website address in a Login item), it opens the website in whichever browser is set as the default web browser on your Mac. If you'd like to change that, simply open the System Preferences app and select General, where you'll find a setting for 'Default web browser'.

Remember that you'll need to install the 1Password extension in the browser you want to use (assuming you haven't already done so). Just open the browser you want to use and go to this site to install the extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Instead of opening a Login item from the main 1Password app, you can open a website in a browser and then open the 1Password extension to select your Login for that site. If you try it that way, does it fill sign-in forms correctly?

This discussion has been closed.