Sync Items between Vaults

Options
vgalkin
vgalkin
Community Member

Hi. I need your help. I want copying my logins item to another vault. I want to make it available to other teams. Could it be that element is synchronized with the parent vault?

1Password Version: 6 (for teams)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vgalkin

If you copy an item from one vault to another they become separate and there is no way to update them both at once. However, if you move the item you will still have only one version of it and it will be kept updated. What you want is to share this item on two different vaults with two different sets of people? In that case what you maybe can do is create a new shared vault between all the people who would need to see it along with the vaults where other subsets of people are using it.

I would like to hear your thoughts about all this! :chuffed:

• vgalkin
    vgalkin
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Perhaps, but it is not the best solution.
    for example, we plan to create more than 20 user groups. more than 200 vaults for each project.
    More than 20 special vaults (example. for the all company, for departments, for teams).
    A few special groups of administrators in each departments. whether we have a problem with such a structure?
    And of course sharing access to one item within the vaults, it would be an excellent solution for our structure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vgalkin: Unfortunately this is not possible and would quickly become a technical and usability nightmare if not done very, very carefully. Each vault has its own encryption keys in addition to those of the users who have access to it.

It sounds like what you're proposing is either individual items being shared between multiple vaults with different permissions and key sets, or nesting vaults, which could mean a potentially infinite number of key combinations for each vault, which would then also be used to encrypt subsidiary vaults, which would also have their own keysets, and so on.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it seems like overkill if you just need to share a vault with some data with multiple people. Now, sharing a single item between vaults would certainly be cool, but only if it can be done reliably and securely. It may be possible in the future, but not soon.

• vgalkin
    vgalkin
    Community Member
    Options

I understood you. Tell me, if we plan to create more than 20 user groups (>100 users). more than 200 vaults for each project.
    More than 20 special vaults (example. for the all company, for departments, for teams). Its Normal? I will have no problems with 1pass for team?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vgalkin,

The set up you propose should work just fine! It sounds like a lot of vaults to manage, but I suppose I’m just used to working for a small team. :)

If you have any other questions about 1Password, we’re always here to help.

This discussion has been closed.