Secure notes interface is a puzzle

Options
Wanapitei
Wanapitei
Community Member

Secure Notes interface is a puzzle. Some examples would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.1
OS Version: Os X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Secure notes interface is a puzzle

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Wanapitei,

It just so happens that Secure Notes is one of my favourite categories. I’d be happy to provide you with a few examples. In fact, we’ve got a blog post that can give you some great ideas about what to store in the Secure Notes category:

Secure All the Things in Secure Notes

I hope this helps, but if you have other questions about the category (or anything else 1Password!) we’re here for you. :)

• Wanapitei
    Wanapitei
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using Secure Notes off and on for many years. But the absence of a tutorial limits me. There is no use example of the fields. Whoever designed Secure Notes had a very specific structure of use in mind. With no use examples I can only guess at the intended functions. I am inspired by looking at other people's designs. Rev up my imagination. I am tired of knocking on blank walls in Secure Notes. I findSecure Notes so frustrating I no longer use it. It has been years since I last used it. Secure Notes = frustration. Some examples of your work would be just the ticket to get me out of my mental block.

With kindness,
    Morley Chalmers

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Morley ( @Wanapitei ),

I’m so sorry that you are finding this frustrating! Secure Notes are not really designed for a specific structure or function, what makes them so useful is their flexibility. You can use just the notes section to collect bits of data, or you can create different sections to organize all sorts of data. Did the blog post I shared give you some ideas on what the category can be used for?

I’d love to help you make better use of this category, but I’m not sure what sort of a tutorial you’re looking for here.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Wanapitei,

Here are a few examples of how I use Secure Notes -

My Macs are encrypted with FileVault. I don't want to store paper copies of any really important passwords or security info around my house, so I keep my FileVault recovery keys in a Secure Note.

For the same reason, I also keep the passwords for my computer logins and our home wifi network in a Secure Note.

When I go on vacation there is always a risk my driver's license, credit and health insurance cards, and even my passport may be lost or stolen. To guard against this unlikely but devastating risk I scan these cards and my passport and include the scans as attachments in a Secure Note.

Finally, there are some things about 1Password itself that I keep forgetting, like the location of 1Password's Backups and Data files (vault info). I keep a brief summary of where these items are located, and how to open my hidden User Library, in a Secure Note.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @fourwheelcycle, those are some great examples! :)

@Wanapitei, hopefully those examples help to give you some ideas. And if you haven't already done so, please be sure to check out the link from Megan's message, as that blog article also has excellent examples (including screenshots) of some uses for Secure Notes.

But really, Secure Notes are meant for whatever you want to use them for. Think of them as generic items that don't have a pre-defined set of fields. And of course you don't need to use them at all if you don't have a particular use in mind. In case it helps, our user guide for 1Password for Mac gives the following description of Secure Notes:

Secure Notes are great for creating short notes you wish to always have at hand. They can also be a catch-all for data that doesn't want to be boxed in to the confines of the other categories.

Basically, if you have some data you'd like to keep in 1Password, but none of the other categories are a good fit, you can put it in a Secure Note.

If you have more questions, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.