1Password Account

howwhy
howwhy
Community Member

If I purchased 1Password do I automatically have a 1Password account? Since I have paid for 1Password, why do I need to pay for a 1Password account?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password Account

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2016

No, accounts are different.

If you make a one-time purchase, you have a licenced program, the licence covers Mac and Windows. In this case you do not have an account. If there is a major upgrade that involves payment (last time was from 1PW 3 to 4) you can continue using your present version (if it works o that OS) or pay for an upgrade.

Or you can get 1PW with the subscription model (three slightly different types, Teams, Families, and individual). In this case you have an account. As long as you continue subscribing you can use 1PW on any platform for which it works and there are no upgrade fees.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @howwhy,

I'm sorry for any confusion about the difference between license and accounts. Danco's answer is spot-on, so I hope that helped clear things up a bit!

For some more information about that, please take a look here: 1Password Frequently Asked Questions

It sounds like you've purchased a license for 1Password for Mac, and that allows you to use the 1Password app on all of your Macs. You don't need to sign up for an account unless you want features that are included with one. For example, a 1Password account gives you web access to your data, easy & automatic sync via our secure servers (just sign into your account from 1Password on any device), item history, and more. The 1Password apps for all supported platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) are included for free with a 1Password account, and that includes the Pro features in the iOS and Android versions. Future upgrades are also free.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• 43w
    43w
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

So 1Password account is a different (subscription only) product; and the Mac, iOS and Android apps are one-time purchases? The thing that's got me confused is 'Emergency Kit' which only appears to apply to the account (whether individual/family/team subscription??
    There used to be a method for accessing 1Password via any browser without needing a 1Password.com "account". Is this still a feature of the desktop apps via Dropbox sync, or has it been removed???

Cheers Agile Bits, it's a great app(s).
    As an app, not subscription user, the Emergency Kit thing has me slightly confused...

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @43w

I'm sorry for the confusion with all this! Your account includes the Mac, iOS, Windows and Android apps, the most recent, full, version of each of them in addition to all the other perks of accounts. You are right, the Emergency Kit, the Account Key, and the option to have access to your data are part of the accounts only. The Emergency Kit is just a PDF that you should store physically, on a safe for example, that has your Account Key. This is the other half of the key that decrypts your data along with your Master Password.

About your other question, you're right. There used to be another way to access your data with the help of Dropbox, but it stopped working several months ago. In short, it was not the most secure option anymore. The long, detailed answer of why it was removed is here.

Thank you for the kind words about 1Password! If you have any more questions or there's anything else that we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• 43w
    43w
    Community Member

Thanks Pilar, I have the apps but NOT an account. Account is subscription only right? Apps one-time purchase only, and also doesn't have the 'Emergency Kit' which has got me confused.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @43w

You are right on everything! If you have any more questions, just let us know! :chuffed:

• moss5000
    moss5000
    Community Member

Hi, having migrated from a competitor in March this year, I am disappointed to learn that licensed users now have to purchase a subscription to access vault data online :( . The 1password site to access said data also leaves a lot to be desired. With no functionality to remove duplicates, select multiple entries and a lack of "right click" options I am strongly considering going back to my previous provider in due course. My employers Risk and Security department have also advised against the use of DropBox/OneDrive synchronisation as well as pointing out vulnerabilities in 1password in general. I will be looking into this a bit more but the requirement to pay AGAIN to access my data online is making me reconsider future upgrades. This model doesn't work for me unfortunately.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi @moss5000,

I’m sorry that you’re feeling a bit frustrated. It’s important to note that the web interface at 1Password.com is a relatively new offering for us, and our development team is still working to build new features into it. I’d be happy to let them know the features that you’re most excited to see. :)

Have you seen the announcement of 1Password individual accounts? If you choose to sign up for a 1Password account now you will get 6 months of the service for free. We made this offer to help current license owners try out the service for an extended period of time with no risk, and no need to pay just yet.

• moss5000
    moss5000
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply Megan. Yes I've seen the announcement you mentioned and I am trialling the individual account. 6 months ought to really have been 12 months for users who have purchased a stand-alone license in the last 6 months. That's just my take on this. I would like to feel that I have gotten my moneys worth for the $56 spent on the license paid no more than 5 months ago.

Watch this space I guess. :|

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Hi @moss5000,

Thank you so much for your feedback and thoughts about all this, we absolutely appreciate it! I'm also glad to hear you're trying out an individual 1Password account. I really hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy making and supporting it! :) Of course, it sounds as if you're not entirely happy with a couple things:

I am disappointed to learn that licensed users now have to purchase a subscription to access vault data online

Our new 1Password subscription service is completely voluntary - we aren't forcing anyone with a license to switch to an account, so you can continue to use the license you bought in March. If that was working well for you, there's no need for you to change that. We still sell standalone licenses for the apps on each platform, so what you bought isn't outdated or obsolete by any means.

If you decide not to continue with your 1Password account and want to go back to the standalone license, no problem! Your license will remain valid for the version of 1Password you bought. Without an account, a major new version might be a paid upgrade, but if so, you wouldn't be forced to upgrade and could continue to use your licensed version as long as your operating system supports it.

Now, it sounds like your disappointment might specifically be related to not having online/web access to your 1Password data without an account. That online access (plus other features of the subscription service) is only possible with a hosted service (i.e. hosting your data on our own secure servers), and that's an ongoing cost for us which is why there's a recurring subscription fee associated with that.

6 months ought to really have been 12 months for users who have purchased a stand-alone license in the last 6 months.

We wanted to offer a special deal to thank our existing customers, and the simplest way to do that was to offer what we think is a very generous deal: 6 months free. It's quite scary to give away 1Password for half a year — keep in mind that we only build one product (1Password) and we won't be making any revenue on it during that time!

I would like to feel that I have gotten my moneys worth for the $56 spent on the license paid no more than 5 months ago.

I also hope you feel your money was well spent on the license, although I understand 5 months might not seem like a lot of time. Please remember that your new account is free for the next 6 months, so you aren't paying anything more at this point. After the end of the 6 months (or at any point before then), if you decide you want to cancel that and go back to using just the standalone license you bought, you're more than welcome to do so. But I really do hope you'll enjoy the account so much that you'll continue with it! Of course, if you ever do have more questions or feedback about 1Password, don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.