Second computer.

RobLyn
RobLyn
Community Member

1password on both iMacs, logins on dropbox. How do I get iMac #2 to recognize logins?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:logins on second computer.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RobLyn,

Thanks for contacting us for help! Can you please elaborate on the problem you're running into on iMac #2? In other words, what do you mean by "recognize logins"? Does 1Password fail to ask if you want to save new Login items when you sign into a site for the first time? Or do you already have a Login item for a site, but that Login doesn't show up in the 1Password extension in the browser? Or something else?

If you can describe exactly what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking to do it, what you expect to happen, and what happens instead, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working properly on iMac #2. Thanks in advance! :)

• RobLyn
    RobLyn
    Community Member

Logins are in dropbox, but only show up in mac#1. 1password drops down fine in mac2, but not all the logins are there like they are in #1.
    I only save them in #1, and they show up fine there. Do I have to set up differently in #2?

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @RobLyn!

It sounds like some (but not all) of your data is syncing is syncing from Mac #1 to Mac #2. Let's check some sync settings on both Macs to see if we can find the problem:

On Mac #1:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On Mac #2:

• Follow the exact same steps as above.

If the problem is that Mac #2 is pointing to a different file or location in Dropbox than Mac #1, you'll need to disable sync on Mac #2, then set it up again and choose the same sync file as Mac #1.

Please let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• RobLyn
    RobLyn
    Community Member

Went thru the steps on both iMac's. Still no dice, but I think I have different account names. Can I just reinstall on # 2 without losing data?
    Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@RobLyn,

You don't need to reinstall anything. You just need to make sure 1Password is pointing to the same data on each Mac. :)

Before we go too far, can you let me know if there is anything you need in 1Password on Mac 2 that isn't in 1Password on Mac 1? That is, would you say that 1Password on Mac 1 contains a full and complete copy of your 1Password data? If you were to erase everything in 1Password on Mac 2 and just put all the data from Mac 1 on it, would you be missing anything you want to keep? If you're not sure, that's okay, too. Let me know either way.

Now, I want to gather a bit of information from you. On each Mac:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. From the 1Password menu, choose Preferences.
    3. Click Sync.

Can you take a screenshot of what you see on each Mac and attach the two screenshots to your reply, or let me know the path you see listed for your Primary vault? Here is an example from my own Mac:

In my example, you can see that the path is:

khad > Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.opvault

What do you see there for each of your Macs? It's important that we know both of them.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure we can get this sorted out quickly for you. :)

• RobLyn
    RobLyn
    Community Member

First, everything I need is on Mac#1

Screenshots below.

I assume the problem is the difference in names.
    Again, thanks for your help. I hope I can leave you alone after this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's perfect, @RobLyn! Those screenshots tell us exactly what we need to know. You are completely right. The problem is that each Mac is syncing to a different vault.

On Mac 2:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. From the 1Password menu, choose Preferences.
    3. Click Sync. So you are back to what you showed me in those screenshots.
    4. Click the "Sync Primary vault with" dropdown menu, and change it from Dropbox to None. When prompted to delete the data, don't check the box to delete it.
    5. Click Disable Sync.

Now, you should see be seeing this:

1. Click the "Sync Primary vault with" dropdown menu, and change it from None back to Dropbox.
    2. Click where it says "Click here to find the Dropbox folder".
    3. Navigate to your Dropbox folder. Then, inside your Dropbox folder, go to Apps > 1Password > 1Password.opvault and click Open.
    4. Click "Merge with Existing".

Your data on both Macs will be merged and everything should be in sync between the two of them from now on. :)

Let me know how it goes!

• RobLyn
    RobLyn
    Community Member

It seems to be fine. Hope I'm right.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Wonderful! Thanks for following up to let me know all is well, @RobLyn. :)

Have a marvelous rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.