Can't find sync in prefs

jasonondesign
jasonondesign
Community Member

Brand new to 1Password and already frustrated.

Your directions here :

say I'm supposed to:

With your primary vault selected in the Sync preferences, choose iCloud from the "Sync vault with" pop-up menu.

But I don't have the sync option that you have in the photograph in my preferences for 1Password. I have General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, All Vaults, Browsers and Updates.

Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-icloud.html

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasonondesign,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

Since you signed up for a 1Password account, and signed in to your account in the app, you won't see a Sync preference pane. It's not needed for a 1Password account. Your 1Password account syncs directly though 1Password.com, so there is no syncing to configure. No iCloud. No Dropbox. Just sign in, and all your data is there. :)

If you create an item in the 1Password app, do you see it when you sign in to your account on 1Password.com? If so, that means everything is already syncing. :+1:

Let me know!

• noktigula
    noktigula
    Community Member

Hi @khad
    Same problem with "sync" on mac ox client. I had an android app, which was sync with Dropbox (without 1Password acc). Now I created a 1Pass account and I want to import Dropbox keystore into it. And in Mac Os client it's just impossible.
    If I understand you correctly, there is no way to import my old data from Dropbox once I start use 1Pass account?

• jasonondesign
    jasonondesign
    Community Member

OK... I sort of get it. You might want to update your user manual so new users don't give up at this step like I did.

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @noktigula , I'm sorry to hear that you find the sync options for 1Password confusing.
    Your Dropbox data can, of course, be shared very easily with your Families (or Teams) account:

• Access 1Password with your Master Password
    • Choose your Primary Vault (or the [Dropbox] vault that you wish to share with your Families account) by clicking in the top, left-hand menu of 1Password "All Vaults".

• Once you have activated the vault that you wish to sync with your Families account, hit the key-combination 'command+a' OR choose the 'Edit menu > Select all'.
    • The entries that you do not wish to share can now be deactivated with 'command+mouse-click'
    • Right-click or command-click the active entries or choose the menu 'Item > Share'
    Slide the mouse down to your personal Families vault (below the blue flag) and choose 'Copy'

Your data will now be copied your Personal Vault.

I hope that this helps, but there's always someone here to help, if you have further questions.
    Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@jasonondesign,

I'm glad I was able to help get that sorted out. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. We try to make it clear in a few places that you don't need to do that if you have a 1Password account:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync.html

We'd love to update the docs to make it even clearer, though. There is always room for improvement. :)

If you don't mind me asking, was there something specific that you read which made you think you needed to set up syncing with iCloud?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @noktigula,

The instructions @rjh provided should help you. However, they will only work if you have your Dropbox vault in 1Password for Mac.

You'll either need to start by connecting to your vault in Dropbox when you first run 1Password for Mac, or add it now (if you're past the initial setup, which it sounds like you are).

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Preferences > Advanced then turn on "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".

Follow the steps to begin syncing your Primary vault with Dropbox:

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-dropbox.html

Then follow the steps to move your data to your 1Password account:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#to-import-data-into-your-new-account

If you have any trouble at any point, please let me know. I'm happy to provide more specific assistance if I know where you are getting stuck. :)

• jasonondesign
    jasonondesign
    Community Member

Hi Khad,
    To be honest I was pretty lost the whole time I was trying to use 1Password. I've heard great things about it from all my geek sites and loved the idea that I could input passwords and things once and share them with my wife. I set up an account and downloaded the software on to my iPad and Mac and ... well nothing worked.
    I had expected a keychain replacement in the sense that it was plug and play. I got an extension installed and then did the steps to get it onto my iPhone, but then couldn't figure out what to do. I tried your help and just followed the steps. I was going to see if I could find it to link to it for you, but I can't. If I remember correctly it started SUPER basic with "this is how to download", so I skipped to the part I thought I needed and the third step in the directions were to do this.
    After a while I gave up and searched online for videos. I usually prefer written directions but after muddling through what I was supposed to do on Mac and iPhone I finally gave up and looked for a video tutorial. I watched your intro video, which is well done but doesn't teach me anything. I found a few videos that were 2-3 years old. I finally muddled through to figure out mostly how it works but it just felt so clunky I gave up. All in all I invested about 30 minutes in reading reviews and seeing if 1Password might be right for me and another 1:15 trying it out before just going back to using the OS X keychain. I pretty much use Safari and my iDevices for everything I do and so iCloud Keychain really does everything I need, except share passwords with my wife, and the extra clicks/overhead of 1Password just didn't seem worth the investment for the 1-2 times a month I need to share or manually type a password.

I hope this is helpful for you. I guess I'd suggest if you're interested in improving your on boarding you should consider getting 4 people who have never used 1Password but who are curious about it to try it out while you watch. Give them a year's free subscription or something and don't give them ANY tips until you've observed them for an hour. I think you'll find PLENTY of issues.

:)

PS: I mentioned on Twitter that one of the passwords I generated (Priceline I'm pretty sure) required a number in it. So I had this really clunky interaction (which I've never had with iCloud) which is:
    1) I created a password
    2) I set it to 3 words to be easier to type
    3) I submitted and saved it
    4) Priceline told me that I needed a number
    5) I made a new one and saved it
    6) I couldn't update it (could have been user error, but I don't think so).
    7) I somehow ended up with 3 passwords in 1password for Priceline
    8) I carefully with many clicks to reveal deleted the bad ones
    OPPS... I actually deleted the REAL one and kept one of the ones that didn't work and had to use iCloud Keychain to recover my login.

I mentioned this in Twitter and suggest that you guys have an intern spend a week to build a database of the most common sites and their requirements and 'teach' 1Password to do the right thing. For example, if the site requires a number or special character or doesn't permit spaces or whatever, adjust the password to make it "do the right thing". I would think this would be fairly easy to put together and you could even have a button where your users could report sites where the auto generated password didn't work... Would make it a lot more useful.

This was the inteaction that tipped me over the edge to uninstalling.

I might be a fringe case, but figured I'd share. I love the concept of what you're doing so hopefully this will give you some ideas. :)

• noktigula
    noktigula
    Community Member

Hi @khad
    Thanks for instructions, looks like import was done well.
    But I share @jasonondesign 's point of view. I spend half of sunday just figuring out "how it works".
    However, I like the idea of app, and will try to continue use it. I hope this one-time setup nightmare won't be happen again.
    Thanks again for helping!

• Thanks for the feedback, @jasonondesign.

Our on-boarding process needs to be a lot better, and I'm sorry that you got frustrated enough to uninstall the app. I'm immensely thankful that you took the time to tell us why.

Generating passwords that end up not being useful is a really frustrating experience. You did everything right, and you got rewarded with busy work. That's not right. We've considered doing something along the lines of what you've described... knowing what kinds of passwords every site (the big ones, at least) wants such that we can generate valid passwords more often. There's a couple things that stand in our way from implementing something like that, but we're slowly chiseling away at the problems. We have some really neat ideas around all of this that I hope we can start to turn into reality in the not-too-distant future.

I hope that in the future you decide to give 1Password another go. I hope that if/when that time comes that the app and our documentation is better setup to receive you and provide you with a good experience.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.